My pH just won't stabilize

Jan 27, 2010
Central Valley, CA
OK, been following BBB for a year with no algae issues but my pH just won't stabilize so I'm ready to tackle the borates. My TA was above 200 when I opened the pool last year and I'm down to 90 but my pH still climbs with acid additions necessary biweekly. I have no water features and have return pointed down to avoid aeration as much as possible.

Just used pool calc and it shows 210 oz of 31.5 % MA. I have 14.5% so it should be factor of 2.17 with 455 oz of 14.5% correct?

I have a small pool, this is a lot of chem's to add. wow.

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Sportsman said:
OK, been following BBB for a year with no algae issues but my pH just won't stabilize so I'm ready to tackle the borates. My TA was above 200 when I opened the pool last year and I'm down to 90 but my pH still climbs with acid additions necessary biweekly. I have no water features and have return pointed down to avoid aeration as much as possible.

Just used pool calc and it shows 210 oz of 31.5 % MA. I have 14.5% so it should be factor of 2.17 with 455 oz of 14.5% correct?

I have a small pool, this is a lot of chem's to add. wow.

I suggest you get your TA lower, maybe even as low as 50 if needed, to get your pH stabilized before you start with borates.

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Thanks. Adding acid every couple weeks hasn't bothered me I was just concerned with getting below the recommended TA level. I was down to 80 but a couple weeks ago the water was left on while topping off and it messed up my levels including dropping CYA to 10.

So Jason, when tap water TA is high and refilling is frequent, is such a pool even a candidate for borates? [edit- swype on Droid X is great but I need to proofread better] Wondering if adjusting TA after would be too hard.

Over a year of adding acid at first weekly and now biweekly, I've gotten the TA in my pool down to 90. My pH just still climbs, seemingly more rapidly now that the water is hot. Of course I'm running my pump much longer these days so I may have more aeration but the return is not breaking the surface.

With frequent water additions constantly raising TA, the best thing to do is to install an automatic acid feed system.

Adding borates will let you go longer between acid additions, but you will still need to use the same total amount of acid. Depending on what you are concerned about, that may or may not improve things for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.