Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pH just won't stabilize

1. Back To Top    #1

My pH just won't stabilize

OK, been following BBB for a year with no algae issues but my pH just won't stabilize so I'm ready to tackle the borates. My TA was above 200 when I opened the pool last year and I'm down to 90 but my pH still climbs with acid additions necessary biweekly. I have no water features and have return pointed down to avoid aeration as much as possible.

Just used pool calc and it shows 210 oz of 31.5 % MA. I have 14.5% so it should be factor of 2.17 with 455 oz of 14.5% correct?

I have a small pool, this is a lot of chem's to add. wow.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    OK, been following BBB for a year with no algae issues but my pH just won't stabilize so I'm ready to tackle the borates. My TA was above 200 when I opened the pool last year and I'm down to 90 but my pH still climbs with acid additions necessary biweekly. I have no water features and have return pointed down to avoid aeration as much as possible.

Just used pool calc and it shows 210 oz of 31.5 % MA. I have 14.5% so it should be factor of 2.17 with 455 oz of 14.5% correct?

I have a small pool, this is a lot of chem's to add. wow.
    I suggest you get your TA lower, maybe even as low as 50 if needed, to get your pH stabilized before you start with borates.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Thanks. Adding acid every couple weeks hasn't bothered me I was just concerned with getting below the recommended TA level. I was down to 80 but a couple weeks ago the water was left on while topping off and it messed up my levels including dropping CYA to 10.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: My pH just won't stabilize

What is the TA of your fill water?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

just tested and it's 160 although I remember it being higher than that when I tested at the pool's opening last year. I know that my fill is working against me.

Right now adding about 4" of water a week.

6. Back To Top    #6

So Jason, when tap water TA is high and refilling is frequent, is such a pool even a candidate for borates? [edit- swype on Droid X is great but I need to proofread better] Wondering if adjusting TA after would be too hard.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

Over a year of adding acid at first weekly and now biweekly, I've gotten the TA in my pool down to 90. My pH just still climbs, seemingly more rapidly now that the water is hot. Of course I'm running my pump much longer these days so I may have more aeration but the return is not breaking the surface.

8. Back To Top    #8

With frequent water additions constantly raising TA, the best thing to do is to install an automatic acid feed system.

Adding borates will let you go longer between acid additions, but you will still need to use the same total amount of acid. Depending on what you are concerned about, that may or may not improve things for you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

my concern is can TA go too low? Before my kids left the water on a couple weeks ago I was down to 80 and saw the target range was around that.

If not, I'm fine adding acid every week or so. I don't have issues handling MA.

10. Back To Top    #10

Since you have an AGP you shouldn't have any CSI issues with lowering your TA well below 80.

Last year I was running my TA around 40 to compensate for a 4 digit CH number and it certainly stopped the PH rise in it's tracks.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Without borates it is best not to lower TA below 60. With borates you can take TA down to about 40.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks. I'll drop down to around 70 and see if it stabilizes somewhat and go from there.