Autopilot DIG-220 Low Amps Warning

Jun 21, 2008
We have an autopilot DIG-220 with an SC-60 cell that I installed in May 2007. We have a 24,000 gallon pool. The unit is wired to an external timer to run with the pool pump. We ran the cell on power level 1 for the first 2 ½ years between 35 and 45% during the swimming season and sometime last summer bumped it up to level 2 at 30-40%. This year has been about the same (up to 45% on the hottest days) and all along the unit has worked well. It has just under 27,000 amp-hours on the cell. Yesterday we got the “Warning - Low amps” indicator light. I came to this board and have reviewed most of the low amp threads. Our readings are: salt at 3000 (as read by both our unit and the local pool store), PH at 7.6, TA at 80, CYA at 60-70 and FC at 3.0 (I added some chlorine today), temp at 89. When I run the pool pilot test the readings are 8 to 11 V and 0.7 to 0.8 Amps. The readings are essentially the same when I turn on the boost and retest 30 minutes later. I pulled the cell and the tri-sensor and all looked very good. To be sure I cleaned everything. None of the blades looked worn or had any deposits. The outermost cell blades and the one in the middle were darker (but no signs of wear). All the others were silver colored. The connections on the cell cord were shiny and had no signs of corrosion or dirt. The tri-sensor cord looked good. The circuit breaker was not tripped and I then opened the unit and tested the voltage I got a reading of 238 volts. No signs of critters other than a couple of small dead spiders and cobwebs. The 2 clear fuses were intact and the ceramic fuse tested good but I replaced it for good measure. There are no breaks or apparent damage to the cords although the cell cord looks like it has been exposed to the weather. The board does not look like it has been damaged or fried. The capacitors at the top left are all blue and nothing looks like any of the pictures of the damaged boards on this message board. Until yesterday everything worked well (I think the amps were always about 6.5 and the volts were in the 22-24 range). Now it’s gone bad. All advice and help is much appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

8-11 volts is suggestive of either low input voltage or a failure in the SWG power supply. You checked the input voltage, so that means a failed power supply is the likely problem.

Not what I wanted to hear but I need to solve the problem so thanks. Is there any way to test or verify that, either visually or otherwise? Assuming that is the problem do you replace it (or get it replaced by a service technician) or do you need to replace the whole DIG-220 Unit? Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.