Intex return eyeball problem

Feb 28, 2011
I have a 24x52 intex pool with a 4000 gph pump. My problem is the return eyeball is causing water to shoot out my pool. Where it screws onto the fitting it leaks and the pressure makes it like a fountain but it shoots out the pool. I cant tighyen it anymOre. Anyone else habe this proble or know of a fix?

Yes!! Drives me crazy too. I now have it so tight Im going to have to use a pipe wrench to get it off!! Makes me wonder how much pressure I could have if it wasnt spraying all out the sides??? Putting a fountain on today so it's coming off!!

Just wondering if the rubber washer was inside or outside. I was in a hurry to get mine up and put the rubber washer on the outside and it sounds like it did the same thing you got going on. Once I moved it to the inside is was not spraying anymore.

according to the instructions the washer goes on the outside of the pool but what I did is made a gasket for the inside that goes around the fitting and when you tighten down the eyeball onto the fitting it smashes against the wall and it has solved my problem

Reactions: Mfmccullar
Cajuncowboycummins said:
according to the instructions the washer goes on the outside of the pool
Really! Well guess I should of looked at the instructions. :sleep: haha Common sense tho to me would be the washer inside. The other way just seems backwards lol
Going to revisit this today as I'm contemplating putting the eyeball back on. The fountain I made is cool and all but the wind blows half of it back out of the pool :rant: so it'll have to be relocate to the other side. Thought about a couple wraps of Teflon or even just gluing it on the fitting. Reg PVC glue should, I think this stuff is PVC????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cajuncowboycummins said:
according to the instructions the washer goes on the outside of the pool but what I did is made a gasket for the inside that goes around the fitting and when you tighten down the eyeball onto the fitting it smashes against the wall and it has solved my problem

This is not true. According to the instructions for my pump the rubber washer goes on the inside of the pool up against the return. On the inside of the return there are some rubber pieces that can open and close if there's too much PSI into the eye retun. Make sure those are all flat and flush with the return.

viberama said:
Cajuncowboycummins said:

This is not true. According to the instructions for my pump the rubber washer goes on the inside of the pool up against the return. On the inside of the return there are some rubber pieces that can open and close if there's too much PSI into the eye retun. Make sure those are all flat and flush with the return.

Gasket is on the inside of the pool on mine still. The clear flaps on the inside of the eyeball return ARE all seated and sealed off. The issue is no matter how tight I tighten the eyeball return on the thru wall piece it's still sprays water out from the threads. No amount of tightening stops this. The seal between the two sucks!!

Has anyone figured out the solution to the Intex eyeball return leaking problem? Mine also sprays from the threads where the eyeball piece screws to the inlet fitting. Should I remove some of the clear rubber flaps on the inside surface of the eyeball piece so more water can escape through those holes? I upgraded to the Intex 14" 1600 gph sand filter pump and cut larger openings in my pool for the 1 1/2 inch fittings. Love the increase in flow and circulation in my metal frame Intex 15' x 48", but the leaking from the threads can't be the norm. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.