Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex return eyeball problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex return eyeball problem

I have a 24x52 intex pool with a 4000 gph pump. My problem is the return eyeball is causing water to shoot out my pool. Where it screws onto the fitting it leaks and the pressure makes it like a fountain but it shoots out the pool. I cant tighyen it anymOre. Anyone else habe this proble or know of a fix?
    17,000 gal, IG, dark plaster, salt water
    All Jandy: 1.5hp pump, CL-460 Cartridge filters, Aquapure chlorine generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex return eyeball problem

Yes!! Drives me crazy too. I now have it so tight Im going to have to use a pipe wrench to get it off!! Makes me wonder how much pressure I could have if it wasnt spraying all out the sides??? Putting a fountain on today so it's coming off!!

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

I just came from lowes tryin to figure something out. I wamted to find something that screwed into the through wall fitting but no luck

4. Back To Top    #4

Have found nothing that fits their thread size as it's all not standard sch 40 sizing

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

5. Back To Top    #5

If your talking about the outside where the hose screws on i had the same problem i put some pipe thread compound on it and problem solved ! Hold a bowl over the inside and you won't lose hardly any water while your putting the thread compound on.
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure about Cajuncowboycummins' but what sprays everywhere on mine is the actual eyeball that screws on inside the pool. Nothing leaks outside thank goodness!

7. Back To Top    #7

yea nothing on the outside is leaking I pvc'd the outside conections its where the eyeball screws to the wall but I found a solution. I'll post some pics a lil later of what I did

8. Back To Top    #8

Just wondering if the rubber washer was inside or outside. I was in a hurry to get mine up and put the rubber washer on the outside and it sounds like it did the same thing you got going on. Once I moved it to the inside is was not spraying anymore.
    12K gallon, FF, IG plaster. WhisperFlo 1.5 hp pump. FNS-Plus Vertical Grid D.E. filter, 48 sq.ft.. Kreepy Krauly that scares the heck out of the grandkids:)

9. Back To Top    #9

according to the instructions the washer goes on the outside of the pool but what I did is made a gasket for the inside that goes around the fitting and when you tighten down the eyeball onto the fitting it smashes against the wall and it has solved my problem

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuncowboycummins
    according to the instructions the washer goes on the outside of the pool
    Really! Well guess I should of looked at the instructions. haha Common sense tho to me would be the washer inside. The other way just seems backwards lol
    Going to revisit this today as I'm contemplating putting the eyeball back on. The fountain I made is cool and all but the wind blows half of it back out of the pool so it'll have to be relocate to the other side. Thought about a couple wraps of Teflon or even just gluing it on the fitting. Reg PVC glue should, I think this stuff is PVC????

11. Back To Top    #11

according to the instructions the washer goes on the outside of the pool but what I did is made a gasket for the inside that goes around the fitting and when you tighten down the eyeball onto the fitting it smashes against the wall and it has solved my problem

This is not true. According to the instructions for my pump the rubber washer goes on the inside of the pool up against the return. On the inside of the return there are some rubber pieces that can open and close if there's too much PSI into the eye retun. Make sure those are all flat and flush with the return.
    1) 7500 Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool / 800 Gallon Gunite Spa
    2) EasyTouch 8 Automation / IC20 Intellichlor
    3) Intelliflo VS Pump for pool and water features - Cartridge and DE Filter / 2 Speed Pentair Pump for Spa and Cartridge Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by viberama

This is not true. According to the instructions for my pump the rubber washer goes on the inside of the pool up against the return. On the inside of the return there are some rubber pieces that can open and close if there's too much PSI into the eye retun. Make sure those are all flat and flush with the return.
    Gasket is on the inside of the pool on mine still. The clear flaps on the inside of the eyeball return ARE all seated and sealed off. The issue is no matter how tight I tighten the eyeball return on the thru wall piece it's still sprays water out from the threads. No amount of tightening stops this. The seal between the two sucks!!

13. Back To Top    #13

yes the little clear rubber inside the eyeball is flat against on the inside of eyeball fitting

14. Back To Top    #14

Has anyone figured out the solution to the Intex eyeball return leaking problem? Mine also sprays from the threads where the eyeball piece screws to the inlet fitting. Should I remove some of the clear rubber flaps on the inside surface of the eyeball piece so more water can escape through those holes? I upgraded to the Intex 14" 1600 gph sand filter pump and cut larger openings in my pool for the 1 1/2 inch fittings. Love the increase in flow and circulation in my metal frame Intex 15' x 48", but the leaking from the threads can't be the norm. Thanks!
    5K gal, Intex 15' x 48", Intex sand filter pump, 1/2 HP, model SF15110, Hayward AquaRay Flapper Disk Cleaner, BBB method, Taylor K-2006 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I went to a pool store and bought a screw in eyeball fitting. Got a pvc fitting with female threads. Got home removed the intex wall fitting and deled out the inside until i could glue the pvc fitting in and screw the new eyeball in.
    Intex 24' x 52" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2650 gph sand filter/pump
    Intex Salt Water Generator
    All PVC Plumbed

16. Back To Top    #16

I meant dremeled out the intex fitting.
    Intex 24' x 52" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2650 gph sand filter/pump
    Intex Salt Water Generator
    All PVC Plumbed

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for your reply, cajuncowboy!
    5K gal, Intex 15' x 48", Intex sand filter pump, 1/2 HP, model SF15110, Hayward AquaRay Flapper Disk Cleaner, BBB method, Taylor K-2006 test kit