Liquid Chlorine and TDS

Apr 3, 2011
Katy, Tx
I've been using the HAAS liquid Chlorine injector, works great. Been getting my liquid chlorine from the pool warehouse. However today I didn't feel like going that far so I went back to my pool stealer (dealer) and bought some there. He informed me that liquid chlorine is high in TDS and that when the TDS gets high enough in the pool, nothing will work to keep it clean, and I'll have to drain the pool and start over.

I know here on the forum, many if not most are using liquid chlorine, so I feel that I would have heard about this issues if it was true, but wanted to ask. So is there truth to this, or is he just trying to sell me something else instead? I don't see how liquid chlorine would have more TDS than chlorine pucks, which is what he had me on before.

I got that spiel from the local Leslies. All that remains when Sodium Hypochlorite breaks down is water and salt. You can go way high on salt with no problems. The stuff he'd have you use will leave Calcium (scale) or CYA (ineffective sanitation) behind.

In short, he's full of it.

Your "shock" product is just bleach (though possibly a different concentration), so it is fine.

Nonsense with a grain of truth behind it. Bleach does raise the TDS level. However, the thing it actually adds, salt, is harmless at the levels it will ever get up to. Of course, every other form of chlorine also adds salt and so will also raise the TDS level. But the most common forms of chlorine other than bleach add something (either calcium or cyanuric acid), in addition to salt, that causes problems at much lower levels, such that you actually will have problems.

Thank you for the quick responses. I figured that he was just trying to sell me something else, or get me back to buying product from him weekly. I knew I'd get and answer here and I did, once again thanks. I'll continue to use the liquid chlorine.

I'm buying my liquid chlorine for $16.00 per case, 4 gallons. Is that a good price?

As I recall, TDS is a very generic term, nothing specified for things that don't get wiped out by the sun or bather load. This includes salt, calcium, and CYA. Other items may be included but you can generally subtract the big three from the TDS. Water can hold a lot of stuff in solution. TDS just sounds important.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I get deal pre-pay for 10 jugs $49.99
Each jug is 10 litres or approx. 2.6 gallons.
$4.99 for 2.6 gallons of 12% soduim hypochlorite.

For what it's worth I found an animal feed store, generally farmers go there.
I got arm and hammer baking soda said food grade right on the bag.
25Kg bag = approx 55lbs for $17.99 a little under .33 a pound.
Also Calcuim Chloride 50lbs $18.99
I haven't checked but someone told me a fertilizer store for farms sells borax in bulk. If I find out anything I will pass it on.
5 gallon buckets with lids work great for storage. Be sure to label!

They sell it there, $5.99 for a 10 litre jug, 2.6 gallons 12%

I in Canada it seems, liquid chlorine is much more readily available. heck, you can grab a jug while you are filling up your car at the gas station, they charge a bit more though. While in the states I found it difficult to find. Not sure the reasoning, aside from the pool doctor wanting to perform surgery on your wallet!

Don't feel too bad, I pay $1.30 a litre for gas. 4 litres to a gallon = approx $5.25 ouch!

Good Luck!

mhlta said:
If I use Sodium Hypochlorite 15%, I should get away with using less than if it were 10%, 12.5% or 6% bleach, right? Will it increase TDS too much? I have a pool shop that sells it in a four gallon crate fo $15.
Yes. Same stuff, just less diluted.

The higher the concentration, the faster it breaks down in storage, however. So don't stock up too much.

rwrogers11 said:
Ok, I'll have to search around, is there a better place to buy liquid chlorine other than pool supplies? Home depot and lowes don't seem to carry it, and bleach at walmart or kroger is more expensive for the percentage.

FWIW...Walmart GV unscented 6% bleach (1.42gal @ $2.54) is a tad better value than 4 gals of 10%, just more bulky to carry. GV Bleach is about 30 cents per ppm in a 10K gal pool, while 10% at $4/gal is about 40cents per ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.