Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine and TDS

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine and TDS

I've been using the HAAS liquid Chlorine injector, works great. Been getting my liquid chlorine from the pool warehouse. However today I didn't feel like going that far so I went back to my pool stealer (dealer) and bought some there. He informed me that liquid chlorine is high in TDS and that when the TDS gets high enough in the pool, nothing will work to keep it clean, and I'll have to drain the pool and start over.

I know here on the forum, many if not most are using liquid chlorine, so I feel that I would have heard about this issues if it was true, but wanted to ask. So is there truth to this, or is he just trying to sell me something else instead? I don't see how liquid chlorine would have more TDS than chlorine pucks, which is what he had me on before.
    Thanks,

Richard

Pool - 18' Doughboy Above Ground Vinyl, 7600 Gallons, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter C500 50 GPM flow rate, Hasa Chlorine Injector, Pool Rover Vacuum, Taylor K-2005 Testkit - Hot Tub - Artesian Pelican Bay, 550 Gallons, Ozone, Nature 2 Mineral Sanatizer, Bromine floater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine and TDS

Also, http://poolsideonline.com/liquidshock.aspx this is the liquid shock that I've been using. I'm not sure if there is something different that I should use instead of this.
    Thanks,

Richard

Pool - 18' Doughboy Above Ground Vinyl, 7600 Gallons, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter C500 50 GPM flow rate, Hasa Chlorine Injector, Pool Rover Vacuum, Taylor K-2005 Testkit - Hot Tub - Artesian Pelican Bay, 550 Gallons, Ozone, Nature 2 Mineral Sanatizer, Bromine floater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I got that spiel from the local Leslies. All that remains when Sodium Hypochlorite breaks down is water and salt. You can go way high on salt with no problems. The stuff he'd have you use will leave Calcium (scale) or CYA (ineffective sanitation) behind.

In short, he's full of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Your "shock" product is just bleach (though possibly a different concentration), so it is fine.

Nonsense with a grain of truth behind it. Bleach does raise the TDS level. However, the thing it actually adds, salt, is harmless at the levels it will ever get up to. Of course, every other form of chlorine also adds salt and so will also raise the TDS level. But the most common forms of chlorine other than bleach add something (either calcium or cyanuric acid), in addition to salt, that causes problems at much lower levels, such that you actually will have problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the quick responses. I figured that he was just trying to sell me something else, or get me back to buying product from him weekly. I knew I'd get and answer here and I did, once again thanks. I'll continue to use the liquid chlorine.

I'm buying my liquid chlorine for $16.00 per case, 4 gallons. Is that a good price?
    Thanks,

Richard

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the concentration (percentage)?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

As I recall, TDS is a very generic term, nothing specified for things that don't get wiped out by the sun or bather load. This includes salt, calcium, and CYA. Other items may be included but you can generally subtract the big three from the TDS. Water can hold a lot of stuff in solution. TDS just sounds important.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry, its 10%
    Thanks,

Richard

9. Back To Top    #9

$16 for four gallons isn't terrible, but various people report the best price they can find being around $10 to $12.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, I'll have to search around, is there a better place to buy liquid chlorine other than pool supplies? Home depot and lowes don't seem to carry it, and bleach at walmart or kroger is more expensive for the percentage.
    Thanks,

Richard

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Well I get deal pre-pay for 10 jugs $49.99
    Each jug is 10 litres or approx. 2.6 gallons.
    $4.99 for 2.6 gallons of 12% soduim hypochlorite.

For what it's worth I found an animal feed store, generally farmers go there.
    I got arm and hammer baking soda said food grade right on the bag.
    25Kg bag = approx 55lbs for $17.99 a little under .33 a pound.
    Also Calcuim Chloride 50lbs $18.99
    I haven't checked but someone told me a fertilizer store for farms sells borax in bulk. If I find out anything I will pass it on.
    5 gallon buckets with lids work great for storage. Be sure to label!
    14X28 inground Vinyl
    1HP Super II Pump
    200lb Sand filter
    Tri-chlor, bleach shock
    BBB

12. Back To Top    #12

Do you get the liquid chlorine at the feed store as well, or where do you get it from?
    Thanks,

Richard

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

They sell it there, $5.99 for a 10 litre jug, 2.6 gallons 12%

I in Canada it seems, liquid chlorine is much more readily available. ****, you can grab a jug while you are filling up your car at the gas station, they charge a bit more though. While in the states I found it difficult to find. Not sure the reasoning, aside from the pool doctor wanting to perform surgery on your wallet!

Don't feel too bad, I pay $1.30 a litre for gas. 4 litres to a gallon = approx $5.25 ouch!

Good Luck!
    14X28 inground Vinyl
    1HP Super II Pump
    200lb Sand filter
    Tri-chlor, bleach shock
    BBB

14. Back To Top    #14

If I use Sodium Hypochlorite 15%, I should get away with using less than if it were 10%, 12.5% or 6% bleach, right? Will it increase TDS too much? I have a pool shop that sells it in a four gallon crate fo $15.
    22,000 gal IG plaster diving pool
    DE filter, 1.5 hp pump
    Filter's so old all info has worn off

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mhlta
    If I use Sodium Hypochlorite 15%, I should get away with using less than if it were 10%, 12.5% or 6% bleach, right? Will it increase TDS too much? I have a pool shop that sells it in a four gallon crate fo $15.
    Yes. Same stuff, just less diluted.

The higher the concentration, the faster it breaks down in storage, however. So don't stock up too much.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by rwrogers11
    Ok, I'll have to search around, is there a better place to buy liquid chlorine other than pool supplies? Home depot and lowes don't seem to carry it, and bleach at walmart or kroger is more expensive for the percentage.

FWIW...Walmart GV unscented 6% bleach (1.42gal @ $2.54) is a tad better value than 4 gals of 10%, just more bulky to carry. GV Bleach is about 30 cents per ppm in a 10K gal pool, while 10% at $4/gal is about 40cents per ppm.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator