Upgrading to a new pump

Jul 9, 2011
I have a 14" Summer Escape ring pool that came with a small 1000 gph pump. Recently I purchased a Intex 2500 gph pump with all the attachments and the "required" adapters. Other than cutting a large hole in the side of my ring pool, I'm not seeing a great solution to attaching this nice strong pump to my ring pool. the adapters don't fit over the openings to my existing ring set pool. Anyone have a better more permanent idea how to connect all this up without cutting a bigger hole? we have considered using radiator hose and clamping it to the adapter and the existing small wall fitting but not sure how it will hold up over the summer. I would love not only suggestions but pictures as well. also the pump came with these nice strainers for both ends. can't figure out how to attach them to the smaller adapter either. thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 114
  • pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 114
need more information. what size are the fittings? You don't have to change the size at the pool, it can be near the pump but there are limits. You don't have a photo of your skimmer. What does it look like?

What are the fittings in the second photo? Most fittings can be found in your local hardware store. Just look for standard schedule 40 PVC.

Now, I'm not qualified to address pump size in relation to pool. You also have to consider if you have enough flow to the pump intake.

Fittings on the pool are 1.5", and the fittings on the new pump are 2" in diameter. The 14' ring pool is 48" deep so I have approx 5500 gallons. I don't have a skimmer on this pool. Do I really need one?

Also the 2nd photo is the Strainer Grid and an adjustable inlet nozzle that came with the new pump and would normally replace the existing wall fittings if the hole in the pool was larger, but I haven't found a way to attach to the inside of the pool. The pool came with a small 3" strainer grid, and also small inlet nozzle. I would like to find a way to attach the bigger strainer on the inside of the pool but due to the small strainer on the inside of the pool, I haven't found a way to replace it with the larger one.

We have attached adapters seen in the first photo using a regular metal hose clamp, but again I am having to prop it up with the 2x6 to keep it from siding off.

Next year will probably just cut a larger hole in the side of the pool, but would like suggestions to carry me thru this summer season.

has anyone converted over to the larger pump on these 14' pools? thanks for any help.

I'm not familiar with the intex pump. many pumps come with 2" outside threads and 1.5" inside threads so you can use either. By strainer, you mean that replaces a skimmer?

You can get 2" to 1.5" reducers in sch 40 PVC at your local hardware, big box or otherwise. Now, I'm not qualified to say what that will do to the pump. Surely shouldn't be an issue on the return end because the eye of the return is already causing a reduction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.