Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is THIS?? (pictures)

1. Back To Top    #1

What is THIS?? (pictures)

Opened my cartridge filter today to clean it, as my pressure was up 8lbs. This is what I found:

This is the runoff when I began to spray it:

It's the consistency of wet paint. What is it?? Pool is clear...
    19000 gallon IG installed in 2003, owned by me since 2010, vinyl liner, 18x36, Sta-Rite PLM-150 cartridge filter, 1hp AOSmith motor on <brand unknown> pump, automatic cover, BBB since August 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is THIS?? (pictures)

What all have you put in the pool lately?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Baking soda and washing soda. Quite a bit, trying to solve a pH and TA problem. Also have copper 3ppm. Is it copper? Did I get somehow lucky and have my copper filtered out?
    19000 gallon IG installed in 2003, owned by me since 2010, vinyl liner, 18x36, Sta-Rite PLM-150 cartridge filter, 1hp AOSmith motor on <brand unknown> pump, automatic cover, BBB since August 2011

4. Back To Top    #4

Please define what you added as "washing soda" for us. Borax?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. Sodium Carbonate.

6. Back To Top    #6

The turquoise tint certainly hints at a copper compound.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like a copper bound substance to me too.

Did you also add DE to the filter?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

No sir, I haven't done anything to the filter. I assume with this much ... blue stuff, that would equal a whole bunch of copper, right? My heater is likely shot then?

Any idea how the filter caught it? I thought copper in pool water eluded filtration.

9. Back To Top    #9

Took filter apart again, no additional blue stuff. Same question though -- with that much blue stuff, if it was copper, does that pretty much mean my heater is shot?

10. Back To Top    #10

did you have any service done to your pool? i remember a post here regarding pool service when someone added some coloring to make the water look blue
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

11. Back To Top    #11

I think the Clarifier in my cabinet is tinted blue, have you used any clarifier?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

12. Back To Top    #12

No clarifier, no service other than my own, so I know everything that's gone in there. It pretty much has to be copper from my heating element, I'm afraid.

Any other thoughts?

13. Back To Top    #13

If the heater isn't leaking, it isn't shot.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    If the heater isn't leaking, it isn't shot.
    Pardon my newbie ignorance... where would it be leaking from? Just all around the base or something?