Fill water is like lake water... What to do?

18 x 48 Intex Frame Pool.

I filled my pool with my well water. When I started filling it my water had a yellowish color to it so I knew it wasnt going to look the greatest when filled. I started it Thursday evening and in the morning it was a little over 1 foot deep. It filled while I was at work and my wife turned off the hose. Knowing that my water has iron in it I bought some metal out stuff to put in when I got home.

To my surprise it looked more green than yellow. It really kind of looks like lake water. I put the metal out in it and some bleach. It has been about 15 hours and has made little or no improvement.

I did buy a test kit before I started. K2006 or whatever it is. My chlorine is too high right now but im ok with that since it is the way it is.

Any suggestions to get this color thing worked out?

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

Yellow/green can come from iron in the water. Depending on just how much iron is in the water and how high FC is right now, you may not have used enough sequestrant.

On the other hand, if the water is dull/cloudy the color could be coming from algae (even if it is dead at this point).

Hello! I filled my 18' off our well this year too and at first it was crystal clear but after abou a foot of water it turned dingy yellow like u described. It stayed that way all the way to full. It did look like nasty lake water!!! Do u have a sand filter? I ask because after one night of filtering through the intex sand filter the water was crystal and I mean CRYSTAL clear. There were ripples of red sand on the bottom but I couldn't believe it cleared up overnight! Hopefully you will have similar success clearly yours up. Also like you our well has a high iron content in the water :(

One other thing I forgot to mention is I did shock the water with bleach to bring up the chlorine level before starting the swg. Could the added salt have played a roll in clearing it up? Are you gong the swg route? I'm curious if you are or not and how your water clears up based on how you are treating it.

Jamison I dont have the swg. I only have the supplied pump/filter that came with the pool. I am wondering how long it is going to take to clear this up. I really can't tell if I am getting anywhere with it yet.

I am already contemplating about buying a bigger pump and sand filter but it is not really in the budget.

I tested my Ph so I can figure out how much muriatic acid to add but the test reads at the highest mark. So I am wondering about how much to add. Also my chlorine is over 10 and from what I have read is that high chlorine may give you higher Ph readings. So I don't think I'm going to mess with the Ph until the chlorine comes down. I do need to add CYA soon I think.

I used the pool calculator on here to figure out how much cya to add. Honestly I never had good luck with the pump/cartridges that came with the pool in the 6 yrs before the new pool and sand filter. There seems to be a lot of seasoned pool veterans here that hopefully can help u get your water clear. :) I know you must be upset though because I wasn't a happy camper (down right upset) either with yellow water. But it does get better!! Oh and you can find the intex 1600 sand filter/pump online for as little as $150. :) don't think you'd regret getting one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Woody, you should not shock with no CYA in the water. It will be harsh on the liner.

Go on and add enough CYA to get to 30 pm, I like the sort you get at Walmart, it seemed to dissolve in a few hours with some squishing of the knee hi stocking.

I added cya using the according to the pool calculator using the sock method. I got in the pool and played around a little bit to help mix it up. I tested again.

FC = 6.5
CC = .5
CYA = less than 30. I am guessing that it take more than an hour or two before it will test correctly.

Ok, thanks. I added the CYA yesterday and added bleach to get the FC to 10. This morning I tested and FC was at 9.5 so I think the CYA worked pretty well. Ph is at 7.4 so it dropped slightly. Basically this morning tests confirm the cya is in there and working.

I still have a pool that is fairly greenish-yellow. I added the metal sequestrant on the first day and it said it would treat 20000 gallons. I only have 6423. I would think it would have cleared it by now. It is only marginally better.

Should I add more metal out?

I am bringing the pool down from shock level and I still have a bunch of iron in the pool.

FC - 6 and I'm going to hold at about 5 or 6 until I can get a good read on my CYA. It has only been 3 days since I added the CYA but I added enough to be at 30.

CC - .5 or les
PH - 7.5

I really need help with ideas to get this iron out of my pool. I have acquired a larger hayward pump and cartridge filter system that I need to plumb in still. For now I am still using the provided Intex pump/filter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.