Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 102 degree heat and bleach useage

1. Back To Top    #1

102 degree heat and bleach useage

Yesterday afternoon I checked the chlorine and it was at 1.5. I added 182 oz of bleach to raise it back to 5. The day before it was at 1 in the morning so I added another 182 oz jug to get it back to 5. In a 48 hour period I had to add 2 jugs. This just seems like a lot. This AM I just tested it and it's holding at 5. Ph had been steady at 7.5 all week until yesterday 7.8 which is ok but I added 2 qts of acid to bring it to 7.5. Here's the rest of my numbers:
    cc 0 TA 100 Ch 320 CYA 40 Borate 40 Temp 90.
    Do you think it's just the heat that's burning it off?
    I've been running my pump at night from 6pm to 7am. I thought it would be easier on the pump and electric bill to run at night. I don't know it that has anything to do with it.
    Thanks,
    Tod
    20x40 gunite inground roman shape 7 ft deep end, 1hp hayward main pump, 2hp in-floor cleaner pump for Paramount PV-3,all plumbing 2" sch 40, Nitro wall climber robot, Fiberstars WPC-2, ColorLogic LED lights, Hayward 425 sq. ft. cartridge filter, UltraPure UPP25 UV ozone.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 102 degree heat and bleach useage

It's the heat. You use a lot more chlorine when the water is warmer. When manually adding chlorine, running the pump at night saves a tiny bit of chlorine compared to running during the day. With automatic chlorine feed it is the other way around, but in either case the difference is small.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

And your CYA is too low for this time of year, try adding a bit more.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just down the road from you in Longview and just took my cya to 60. Aerating that pool at night helps too. Cooler water makes a difference. Dropped mine 6 degrees over night. 103 to 104 today ain't gonna be any fun either! Hang in there. Watch that minimum number for sure.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I run my filter midnight to 8AM, though Polaris and waterfall both come on a few times to mix the pool and keep chlorine in the waterfall. My pool is still almost chilly.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA to 60?? Don't you have to keep your chlorine high with that much CYA in there?
    20x40 gunite inground roman shape 7 ft deep end, 1hp hayward main pump, 2hp in-floor cleaner pump for Paramount PV-3,all plumbing 2" sch 40, Nitro wall climber robot, Fiberstars WPC-2, ColorLogic LED lights, Hayward 425 sq. ft. cartridge filter, UltraPure UPP25 UV ozone.

7. Back To Top    #7

You do need to raise the FC level a little when your raise the CYA level, not enough for me to call it "high" however.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by treefarmer
    CYA to 60?? Don't you have to keep your chlorine high with that much CYA in there?
    I normally keep it at 50 this time of year anyhow. This has NOT been a normal summer so far!
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for the information. I'll get some more CYA and see if that helps stabilize the FC usage. At least keeping it at 7 it will help keep it from swinging from 5 to 2 or 1 as it has these past few weeks.
    Woodyp, have you found a good place to purchase your CYA in Longview? My wife's office is there, so she goes there frequently. We've been using the Swimming Pool Superstore on the loop by lowes.

10. Back To Top    #10

Exactly who I bought my pool from! I go to the one at the other end of the loop when I HAVE to! (let's just say they don't agree with my pool politics) But I buy HTH stabilizer and conditioner in a 4 lb. container from Wally World. I priced some liquid CYA at SPSS yesterday for grins. 35 bucks a gallon which is good for 30ppm per 10k gallons. Quicker,............but NO thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

In my friend's pool at the beach we used a granulated CYA product from Walmart and later, some from a pool store. The pool store product instructions said to adjust pH to something lower than 7.5, I think the 7.2-7.5 range, then add to the skimmer. We could not do that since the filter was due to be backwashed so we added it to socks. The stuff was really hard baked, and in larger grains than the HTH from Walmart. It took a long time to dissolve, even with us all squishing the socks for several hours. The HTH brand just dissolved itself in a few hours, almost no help from us. Price was close given slight size differences, as I recall.

12. Back To Top    #12

Seems we continue to get good reviews about the CYA sold by WallyWorld.

More powdery and dissolves faster.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, I was amazed at how fast the CYA from HTH dissolved. I tied it in a sock on the side of the pool about 2pm and 4pm or so I was swimming by it and started squishing it and with a few minutes I was down to just a handful of product that needs to soak a little more. The stuff from the pool store takes almost a full week to dissolve.
    I'll let the pump run 24 hours and tomorrow afternoon test the CYA level and adjust the FC accordingly.

14. Back To Top    #14

Alright now, I asked almost this exact same question a couple weeks ago and said I was thinking of raising my CYA (40) and you guys told me I didn't need to raise my CYA. I too am using 182oz bleach per day and temps have been over 100 for 20 days here.
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by ROTJob
    Alright now, I asked almost this exact same question a couple weeks ago and said I was thinking of raising my CYA (40) and you guys told me I didn't need to raise my CYA. I too am using 182oz bleach per day and temps have been over 100 for 20 days here.
    Your posts list your CYA at 60 and 65, not 40.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh. My bad. It dropped since then. So raise it back to 60?

<blush>
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, that should help. Your daily chlorine loss right now is at 4 ppm FC per day and hopefully at 60 ppm CYA that'll drop to perhaps 3 ppm FC per day unless the weather (and your pool) gets cooler.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

18. Back To Top    #18

I've posted here about squishing a sock of CYA for <3 hours and testing the next day with reliable results. HTH stabilizer from walmart is what I used. It is about 6 years old even.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It's the heat. You use a lot more chlorine when the water is warmer. When manually adding chlorine, running the pump at night saves a tiny bit of chlorine compared to running during the day. With automatic chlorine feed it is the other way around, but in either case the difference is small.
    Agreed, I always think, "Wow, wonder what my pool is starting to cook up?" when it's at 86 degrees. But, when you're on the BB Method the answer would be .... NOTHING!!!!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!