Intex 13'x39" and Salt Water

Jun 1, 2011
I'm new to the forum and need a little help. I'm looking to purchase the Intex 13'x39" Metal Frame pool, but wanted to know if the salt water system will work with standard filter. I don't see online what size pump it comes with and I heard that the salt system needs a Min 1000gpm pump system.

Thanks in advance for your info.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

The Intex SWG will work with any filter. The only issue is that it is designed for Intex style hose fittings. If you are using standard hoses you will need adapters.

So the hoses that come with the Intex 13'x39" will not work with out adapters? Do you know what adaptors would be needed? and where I could purchase them?

Or would it be easier to just get the 15' x 48". will the salt unit just fit that pump?

trikstir said:
I'm new to the forum and need a little help. I'm looking to purchase the Intex 13'x39" Metal Frame pool, but wanted to know if the salt water system will work with standard filter. I don't see online what size pump it comes with and I heard that the salt system needs a Min 1000gpm pump system.

Thanks in advance for your info.

When you say standard filter, do you mean standard as in an Intex filter pump (like the one that comes with the Intex pool), or a truly "standard" pool pump? Intex pools and equipment are all literally "non-standard" in that Intex stuff won't work with true standard pool filter equipment without (somtimes significant) modification.

You can buy the saltwater system as a standalone unit, or together with an integrated filter pump. I preferred the standalone model myself given how many Intex filter pumps I've gone through over the years....

The manual for the older style standalone model 8110 saltwater chlorine generator I have (which is the separate unit from the pump) says it requires a minimum flow rate of 700 gal/hr. The generator came with adapters to allow it to work with 1 1/4" hoses used in the smaller Intex pools.

If the pool you are buying includes the model 530g pump, you'll probably be looking at needing a pump upgrade along with the saltwater generator. However, you can get the 637R which is 1000gal/hr for about $35+shipping at Amazon or the 2500gal model 633 for $99 shipped on eBay.

Getting a size larger pool with a bigger pump to satisfy the requirements of the saltwater generator may also be an option instead of just spending extra money to upgrade the pool pump if you have room for the bigger pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.