Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Legs in the air

1. Back To Top    #1

Legs in the air

We have a 15x48 pool. This is the 2nd year 3 to 4 legs come off the ground. The legs don't seem to be moving on the other side. We've had our same liner for 4 years. Could it be stretching? Poured a concrete slab for the pool. First 3 years it never did this. Now this is the second year of "liner rolling". Any suggestions on cause and prevention?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Legs in the air

Check your slab to see if it is level. Are the kids pushing off the sides when they swim? Also check to see if all the legs are straight.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of pool is it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Intex 15x48 above ground with metal poles.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have any pictures of the pool showing the legs off of the ground?
    Do you have the rope around the bottom of the legs?
    Are the legs installed between the "white Band" and the pool liner?
    Are the legs straight up and down or are they being pushed outward at the bottom?
    Answers to these questions may help with a resolution.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

6. Back To Top    #6

[attachment=0:1y6u796e]photo-1.JPG[/attachment:1y6u796e]Here are a few pictures. Notice the white is the liner bulging out. The legs are about 6.5 inches off the ground. I need help. I love my pool. We are draining it to half and are going to try to pull the legs down and tighten the rope.

At this time I cannot figure out how to attach a photo....grrrr here?[attachment=1:1y6u796e]photo.JPG[/attachment:1y6u796e]
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh my! That doesn't look good. Looks as tho the liner is deformed.. Very strange.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

8. Back To Top    #8

Your slab is no longer level, or your liner has weakened and stretched. My AG Intex 15' isn't level and I see a little white but my legs don't lift like that. That can't be safe at all. Also, check the rope for damage or stretching. I had to replace my rope after one season, it frayed pretty bad from UV damage. I bought some replacement at Lowes and really made sure it was tight.
    Intex 15' X 48' pool, 2500 GPH pump, SWG. Using old 1000 GPH as my aerator/heat pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks all for the tips/help. We have drained the pool and purchased another one. I think the liner just stretched out. Last summer the rope was very brittle and became loose. This same thing happened last year (the liner bulging & legs lifting). This year we got a new rope, but I think it stretched causing the legs to move ....? We will be checking the slab to see how level it is before we put the new pool up. Draining the pool was not a popular choice with our kids. Oh well, safety first! Thanks again for your help.

10. Back To Top    #10

I've read on here some people replace the rope with a strap with a ratchet.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    I assume you mean something like a tie down ratchet used for cargo. Where does one get 50+ feet of that? That would be perfect as it is much stronger than rope! Just wonder what it costs?
    Intex 15' X 48' pool, 2500 GPH pump, SWG. Using old 1000 GPH as my aerator/heat pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by notluf
    Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    I assume you mean something like a tie down ratchet used for cargo. Where does one get 50+ feet of that? That would be perfect as it is much stronger than rope! Just wonder what it costs?
    Used 5 ratchet straps around ours. They came in a set of four tie downs at lowes, and extras are always good to have to tie stuff down. Anywho they are like 15' long. Just release them almost all the way out and connect them all together using the hooks. Then you can adjust each ratchet individually as you work your way around tightening everything up

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd definitely check that slab before installing the new pool - the way the liner is rolled under like that would seem to indicate the center of gravity of the water is shifting downhill and that the slab is no longer level. Also, is that line in the concrete in the second picture (right side, below the 2nd leg visible on the right, running horizontally) a crack? If so and if it extends across the concrete under the pool, the structure of the slab may have broken and settled down at that point due to the weight of the water in the pool. If this is the case, the problem could appear less severe right now (without the weight of the water on it) as it may rebound up at the crack when the weight is removed.

I also don't know if I'd install the pool that close to the edge of the slab - at least two of the feet on the extreme left edge side in the first picture appear to have some air under parts of them....