Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Caretaker 99 pop up system

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesa Arizona

Help with Caretaker 99 pop up system

I just bought a house and it has the Caretaker 99 pop up cleaner system. The only pop up that semi-works is the one on the first step. All of the other pop ups stay completely flush with the floor of the pool. I was wondering if the gearbox could be the problem or if it is just a crappy system that gets bad reviews and I should just abandon it completely until we get the floor of the pool redone. The pressure valve at the gearbox looks really old and it only says that there is 7 lbs of pressure when the pump is on. I admit that I don't know much about pools or there cleaning systems but I am more that happy to learn. I appreciate any help that I could get with this matter. Thanks
    IG, plaster, 23,000 gallons, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Myrtle Beach, SC aka Redneck Riveria

Re: Help with Caretaker 99 pop up system

It's possible sand or dirt has the other heads in lockdown. You can carefully try to lift the heads one at a time & see if they pop up on their own.

The gears in them are notorious for stripping. When they work (I'd say the 9% of the time) they are FABULOUS. The other 91% I wouldn't give you a nickel for.
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

3. Back To Top    #3

South Central NJ

I think your percentages are bit exaggerated Doc. Caretakers usually last a long time. If only one head pops up, 99% of the time its the gear box. Its either got some debris in the mechanism or it's stripped. Most times, it's the former. If it was a Paramount, then it would likely be the latter.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is an in-line strainer screen right above the distributor head. Open the union and check that to make sure that it is clean.

Also, make sure that your cartridge filter is clean.