Clothes Pin Under Liner!!

Jul 8, 2011
Brand new install on 18 foot round. While hanging the liner we used some clothes pins to hold it up. Apparently one got lost and ended up under the liner. It is actually between the liner and liner pad I put down. It is right next to the foam coving strips at the edge just a few inches from the wall.

Any ideas how to get it out? I assume draining it out is the only way? I obviously don't want to do that but I am afraid it will eventually punch through the liner. Some have said not to do that because I won't be able to get the liner back without a lot of wrinkles.

Any possibility of trying to dig my hand under the edge from the outside and grabbing it or is that wishful thinking?

Any advice at all is appreciated!

You can actually dig under and around. Just make sure you back fill the hole you've dug and try to dig it as small as possible. Maybe even bride the neighbor kid or your own with a purchase when you hear the next ice cream truck come around. With their small hands the hole doesn't have to be that big.

If your liner is strong enough, you can get a big magnet and walk the clothes pin up the wall. until you get it high enough where you can stick your arm down between liner & wall. **** JUST PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL not to tear liner.

Final option is to try and push the clothes pin deeper into your bed of sand. You might be able to do a combination of this and digging under and up.

Good luck.

I am a new pool owner, but I don't think I would NEVER, EVER, try to dig under the liner! There is ALOT of weight on that liner, hence the ground. You dig under there, and I would guess the liner would sag right into that hole. I don't care how small you make it. Secondly, I highly doubt you could "walk" it up the wall with a magnet. If I am understanding the post correctly, the pin is on the ground, between the cove and wall, so how in the world would they get it past that, and again, there is alot of weight pushing against the walls.

Did you put sand down, under the pad? Or do you have solid ground, then pad, then liner? If you got sand, I personally, would carefully push it down, until it was relatively even/flat with the rest of the bottom. Unfortunately, since it is between the pad and liner, it will push the pad down too, which probably will cause you to have a small dip right there. But atleast you shouldn't have any sharp edges pushing against the liner that way.

Unless the water is prohibitively expensive, I would do nothing but drain it and take it out. You're asking for trouble doing anything else. Use a vecuum when resetting the liner and you can set it right back in place without any wrinkles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.