Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much salt

I miscalculated the amount of salt I needed to add at the beginning of this season; the recommendation for my SWG is 6k ppm, and I am currently at 8.5k. Do I need to drain/refill until I reach 6k or am I okay? Will this cause damage to my SWG?

I really don't want to pooch my SWG in its second season; all/any advice is appreciated.
    24k gal (100k L) inground vinyl|Watermaid EZY SWG|Hayward 1/2 hp & sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much salt

I don't have an answer for you, but that sounds like an awfully high recommended salt level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

My apologies if this should've been started in a different forum. Mods, please move if this is the case.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    I don't have an answer for you, but can you tell us which salt cell you have? That sounds awfully high.
    Do you mean the recommended lvl? I thought so too last year when I was deciding on which unit to get but was assured that the figure is correct. Here's the link:
    http://www.watermaid.ca/pool-salt-chlorinator.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd lower it to close to the recommended level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, BR; not what I wanted to hear but had a feeling I would.

7. Back To Top    #7

Would the risk of damaging a very expensive salt system be worth saving a few dollars on the cost of water?

Without knowing the exact dimensions of your pool, here is a good guess as to how much water would need to be replaced.
    Start by draining 18 inches of water and replacing with fresh water.
    Ooops... metric.. Start by draining 45 cm of water and replacing with fresh water.
    Check the salinity; if less than 6000 then you are ok. If greater than 6000 then drain about 10-15 cm more of water and refill.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

8. Back To Top    #8

My water is free, so I was more concerned about losing swimming time, overworking my whole house water pump and throwing off the chemistry of the water, etc. But you're right, a small investment in time and effort could possibly save me an expensive repair or replacement.