DE vs SAND Filters

JasonLion said:
There is no one best kind of filter. Different situations and personal preference will make different kinds of filters better for different people.

Sand
Pros: The simplest to operate, just backwash occasionally. No ongoing expenses except water.
Cons: Lets the largest particles through.

DE
Pros: Filters out smaller particles than any other filter.
Cons: Can require very frequent backwashing if you have algae. Backwashing is more complex than sand.

Cartridge
Pros: No backwashing, the best choice if you have expensive water or water restrictions.
Cons: Cartridges wear out eventually and can be expensive to replace. Some people don't like cleaning cartridges which can be messy.

I add a little DE to my sand filter to get filtering nearly as good as a DE filter without the (minor) hassles of a regular DE filter. Others love cartridges. If you get a large enough cartridge filter you may only need to clean it once a year. On the other hand, you can't beat a DE filter for water clarity. A little of this, a little of that, pick the flavor that you like best.

In all cases getting a filter that is larger than what your system requires will make everything simpler and more efficient.
Could you please clarify what constitues a "little" DE to your sand filter? What is the frequency? After each backwash cycle? I assume you are adding it through your closest skimmer basket to the filter? Do you find any DE making it back through the sand filter to the pool? Any cons such as more frequent cleaning/replacement of the sand?

You need to experiment to see how much DE to add, usually around 1 cup. The first time add 1/4 cup at a time and then give it a couple of minutes to settle and repeat additions until the pressure goes up 1 PSI. After that you can add the amount you figured the first time all at once.

DE is added after each backwash cycle. Unless the filter is broken it doesn't get through to the pool. This has no impact on the filter. The only negative is the cost of the DE (which is very low).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.