Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 Week Vacation AGP Care?

1. Back To Top    #1

2 Week Vacation AGP Care?

My in-ground AGP (sunken, not buried) has been doing fantastic all summer. I'm running an intex SWG and a pretty large array of solar water heaters. We just had the 4th here and had a ton of people in it, and it did great.

It's a 15x30 oval.

We're going away for about 2 weeks, and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about leaving it unattended. I currently run the SWG about 8 hours, and I'm running the pump about 11 hours a day. The only issue I can see is if we lose power over night due to a storm (rarely happens, but did happen last night), and the SWG resets itself. I guess in that case, I could go almost 2 weeks without generating any chlorine, although I'd be circulating.

Do I need to take any precautions for leaving it? Should I drop in a handful of 1" chlorine tabs to overchlorinate it, just in case? It'll be covered with the solar cover.

Thanks for the advice!
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 Week Vacation AGP Care?

Is there anyone that you can have check on your pool a few times while you are away?

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Is there anyone that you can have check on your pool a few times while you are away?
    I do have IP cameras that I can check on the overall status, but being in an area where everyone is like "why do you have a pool in Montana," it's a little hard to find people that know what they're looking at, or how to address it.

It's unlikely I'd have a complete failure, so if the SWG stopped working, how many days would it take to kill all of the chlorine? What about a floating feeder?
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can raise the pool to shock level and keep some tabs in a floater and run the SWG. The only problem with that is if the power does not go off then you have a couple of days to let the chlorine go down. Usually we tell folks to raise to shock level and then cover the pool to minimize chlorine loss.

TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!