2 Week Vacation AGP Care?

Aug 28, 2009
My in-ground AGP (sunken, not buried) has been doing fantastic all summer. I'm running an intex SWG and a pretty large array of solar water heaters. We just had the 4th here and had a ton of people in it, and it did great.

It's a 15x30 oval.

We're going away for about 2 weeks, and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about leaving it unattended. I currently run the SWG about 8 hours, and I'm running the pump about 11 hours a day. The only issue I can see is if we lose power over night due to a storm (rarely happens, but did happen last night), and the SWG resets itself. I guess in that case, I could go almost 2 weeks without generating any chlorine, although I'd be circulating.

Do I need to take any precautions for leaving it? Should I drop in a handful of 1" chlorine tabs to overchlorinate it, just in case? It'll be covered with the solar cover.

Thanks for the advice!

257WbyMag said:
Is there anyone that you can have check on your pool a few times while you are away?

I do have IP cameras that I can check on the overall status, but being in an area where everyone is like "why do you have a pool in Montana," it's a little hard to find people that know what they're looking at, or how to address it.

It's unlikely I'd have a complete failure, so if the SWG stopped working, how many days would it take to kill all of the chlorine? What about a floating feeder?

You can raise the pool to shock level and keep some tabs in a floater and run the SWG. The only problem with that is if the power does not go off then you have a couple of days to let the chlorine go down. Usually we tell folks to raise to shock level and then cover the pool to minimize chlorine loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.