Can't Get My Brain Around These Numbers

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
I've been a BBB for a couple of years with some good and some not so good seasons but mostly good and easy seasons. This season I'm having trouble figuring out what to do here. Can I get some help with these numbers?

First of all, my little pool has sparkling clear and beautiful looking (and smelling and tasting) water. However, yesterday I noticed a brown discolouration all along the bottom edge of the pool. I've never had this before. It doesn't come off with just a simple scrub. I'm thinking it's directly related to some of these wacko numbers. On Tuesday I dumped a some old BORAX (3 lbs) and about 16 oz of left over PH UP to get the PH up and wondered if that caused the brown staining. I've read up on testing the stain with vit c or clorine to see if it's metal or organic but haven't had a chance to get in today. The stain looks lighter in the areas where the sun has been all day today.

By the TROUBLE FREE TEST box top:

7/8/11
FC 4.5
CC .5
TC 5.0 (right you add FC & TC)
pH -6.5?? I can't even get a reading on this. The Phenol red turns YELLOW in the tester
TA 0? (I followed instructions and the tester didn't start with green it went straight to BRIGHT RED/PINK)
CH 160
CYA 150? (not sure here because the dot block out about 1/2 way between the bottom and 100 mark. I used pucks in the winter and just learned that shock also has cya in it even though I mostly use 10% bleach during the season.) I suppose I will be draining 69% of the water at some point as the POOL CALC suggests. But until then ... .
Temp 82 degrees - nice!

4,500 to 5,000 "Splasher" Vinyl pool

Any ideas? Where do I start?

Thanks,

dpool

TA super low is super bad. I think the cure is baking soda. I've only has to raise TA inf time and that was after using punks when my TA was right for bleach, which is too low for pucks. Usually my high TA water keeps TA too high but unusually heavy rains drive it down.

Go to Pool Calculator, see what it says you need to get back to TA of 60. That's first. Then see where pH is, and adjust to 7.5. When that is stable you can worry about the stain.

Baking soda to get the Ph and TA up at least if you're not gonna swap water out for the CYA level. Sooner the better. You mau have to go back and add some Borax just for the PH too.

Okay - just got out my BAKING SODA.

First things first you say - off to the pool calc to get the number for BAKING SODA in the pool - maybe I'll stop by POOL SCHOOL for a refresher in adding it first. Numbers first then the stain.

THANKS! I'll let you know how it goes!

dpool

Sparklypoolitus means testing your water at MIDNIGHT just to see what you can do before morning.

So the TA is at 80-90 now. (another drop snuck out as I was at 8 but 9 confirmed the color change.)

So I'm thinking I need to add the BORAX to get the pH up from the bottom. I did notice a change in the pH reading from a matching FC reading to a slightly more yellow orange. I'd say things are moving in the right direction at the moment.

Off to add BORAX!

dpool

Ummm FIRST to the Pool Calc and then Pool school just to make sure.

Okay - my numbers actually look like everything is going to be okay (for now!)

7/9/11

FC 8.5 (still a tad low but my swimmers are pushing to get in so I'm going to wait until they get out)
cc 0
TC 8.5
pH 7.2
TA 120
CH 160
CYA 150 (??? half way up tube before 100)
TEMP 82

So three questions and a comment:

1. Can my swimmers now swim?

2. If my CYA is high (it is) my FC should always be HIGHER than the the basic TAYLOR kit - right? so it's it's top of the line YELLOW (5) then I've got chlorine and I should test with my TROUBLE FREE KIT to make sure I'm in the higher numbers the POOL CALC suggests - correct?

3. TA and pH are getting there will swimmers help bring things into range? I still have to add about 3 cups of borax but again, I'll wait until after we all swim. I'll do the stain test while in there, too.

And my comment - I'm so glad I found this TROUBLE FREE POOL site and recommend it to all I know with pools big and small.

Thanks all,

dpool

As long as your FC is within the recommended range for your CYA, your pH is between 7.2-7.8, and the water is clear you are good to swim.

Yes with your high CYA you should use the FAS-DPD chlorine test to make sure you keep FC in range.

Swimmer won't affect the TA, but a whole lot of splashing could cause a little rise in pH. Overall the effects on TA and pH should be negligible. Swimmers mainly affect chlorine use.

zea3 said:
As long as your FC is within the recommended range for your CYA, your pH is between 7.2-7.8, and the water is clear you are good to swim.

Yes with your high CYA you should use the FAS-DPD chlorine test to make sure you keep FC in range.

Swimmer won't affect the TA, but a whole lot of splashing could cause a little rise in pH. Overall the effects on TA and pH should be negligible. Swimmers mainly affect chlorine use.

Thanks!

They're all watching a DVD now but as soon as it's over - it's POOL TIME!!!! Ya!

dpool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.