Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What disaster is heading towards this pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What disaster is heading towards this pool?

I just checked my in-laws pool and have some interesting numbers. It is a 30 year old gunite pool with the original white, ha ha, plaster. The plaster is still smooth but is mostly stained with different shades of colors. They like the look, as it just isn't a small stain here and there, but the entire surface.

FC 5
    CC 0
    pH 7.2
    TA 30
    CH 700
    CYA 40

They have a new pool service since there last guy got in an accident and can no longer work. The new service has been there for 2 months, and I don't think he is trying to fix any of these numbers.

My question is; with these numbers, what most likely will go wrong with the pool?

Note that my signature does not apply to this thread.

Thanks.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What disaster is heading towards this pool?

Calcium is high but pH is low which is good, however TA may be too low. It should be around 70 minimum. How are they chlorinating the water?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

They use 12.5% liquid. The service does their weekly thing and leaves a gallon for the in-laws to add during the week.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

That is pretty nice of that pool service to use actual chlorine and leave them with another gallon to use during the week.
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe