Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to add CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to add CYA

Had forgot about testing my CYA for a long while, noticed I was adding alot of chlorine and it would quickly go to 0. Tested just now and double checked at pool store and yep, 0 CYA.

FC-2
    CC-1 (in the middle of shocking after leaving for 3 days)
    CYA - 0
    PH 7.6
    CH- 220 ( will raise after cya us under control)
    TA - 80

Is the sock method the beat way to add it? It says to add 9 lbs but I am only going to add 4 right now and see what it goes up to in a week. So can I do 2 lbs in each sock in two skimmers.

Can I continue to shock while adding cya. Pool got away from me because I added what I though was enough clhlorine for 3 days, but with CYA At 0 and temps of 102, the spa as yellowing when I got back. Looks all clear now, just a little something still eating the chlorine.
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to add CYA

Yes, you can shock while adding CYA. Your plan sounds fine, just adjust your target FC as if the CYA were already dissolved and registering on a test.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK great. I am just nervous about adding the full amount of CYA as i am not totally sure on my gallons. i know i am close, but sometimes the bleach i add makes my chlorine go higher than expected.
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Approaching it cautiously is very prudent. AS zea said, you have a good plan.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School