Another way to test CYA?

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
I have the Taylor K-2006 kit and love it except for the CYA test. Just seems I get different readings depending on lighting, my eyes, bubbles, exactly when black dot disappears, you name it. Is there another test kit or process that does this easier?

Unfortunately CYA is the more difficult value to test. Try to standardize things as much as possible. Read the test around the same time of day, in strong sunlight with the sun at your back holding the tube at waist level. Follow measuring and mixing directions to the letter. When you think you see no sign of the dot, look away for a minute and look again. Pour the mixture into the mixing vial then back into the view tube and read the test again 2 more times and pick the 2 closest numbers as your result. Even under the best of circumstances the error rate on the result is +/- 10 ppm.

Once you have a result you should only need to retest when you have added more CYA, replaced a significant amount of water, or notice a change in the way the pool responds to chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.