Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: somewhat stupid question about a liner

1. Back To Top    #1

somewhat stupid question about a liner

I've read on this forum about vinyl liner thickness being 20-28 mm. Looking at the top part of the liner in my pool (i'm currently in the process of putting some of it back into tracks), the thickness is only about 4 mm! I can't really imagine vinyl liner being 20 or 28 mm! 28 mm is more then an inch thick! A wrinkle on the bottom of my pool also confirms that the actual vinyl part is much thinner than 20-28mm.

Which makes me believe that it must be the actual liner and possibly padding behind that should make up to 20-28 mm. Am I right? Or do I have somehow a liner that 5 times thinner than anybody else's?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: somewhat stupid question about a liner

mil, not mm. 1/1000th of an inch.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

measured in mils thickness--------like a trash can liner
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

that's why i said it was "somewhat stupid"! thanks for clarifying this for me.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

5. Back To Top    #5

Also beware that some liners are 'gauged' - the gauge they use is a good bit less than a mil - so a 20 gauge liner is a good bit thinner than a 20 mil liner
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Also beware that some liners are 'gauged' - the gauge they use is a good bit less than a mil - so a 20 gauge liner is a good bit thinner than a 20 mil liner
    yes, i read on this forum about gauge-ing it might've been your post.

Dave,

Does you company work in southern Mass by any chance?

7. Back To Top    #7

Dave, I'm no longer 'in the business' but am willing to do a little traveling to help the good folks here
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Ted, with the price my pool stores want to charge me to buy local and get local support for a whole suite of pool equipment, it would easily be cheaper, more fun, and way more educational to fly you to Nebraska to set up my equipment and teach me how to use it and winterize it. So, just what is "a little traveling?"
    Wishful thinking, I know!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

9. Back To Top    #9

oops, i meant "Ted', not "Dave". sorry!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Diver
    oops, i meant "Ted', not "Dave". sorry!
    You should hear the other names I respond to (my neighbor still thinks that I'm the same guy who lived here 2 years ago and always shouts out "LUKE" when he sees me, even though I usually have my "Ted" name tag on after work

crek31- a 'little traveling' is what I can do on my days off, and still report to work when I'm scheduled. "TrusTed" pool service is still a dream, but I'm always willing to help folks with their pools
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted