Shut off valve broke off (PVC)

Jul 8, 2011
Our above ground 24' pool was professionally installed approx 6 years ago and they hard piped everything in (PVC). A couple of days ago while my husband was doing maintenance on the pool the shut off valve (just below the basket at the intake) broke off. I know that we are going to have to cut the PVC and replace that section but my question is will we have to replace the shut off valve with one specific to a pool or are there shut off valves at hardware stores we can get? Also how do we stop the water flow coming into the intake long enough to do the work?

If it isn't obvious we know nothing about any of this & have never had to work with PVC before. I watched a video on youtube and feel pretty confident that it won't be that difficult though so I think we are good there just gotta know the answers to the above questions to feel totally comfortable.

THANKS a million. Jenifer

No you don't have to use a "Pool Specific" valve. The valve is there so you can shut the water of to the pump from the skimmer right? If so you can get a standard ball valve from the big box stores and put it in it's place. You can stop the water flow by using a rag or tennis ball in the bottom of the skimmer to facilitate the repair. Just remember to remove it before turning on the pump. Any pictures?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.