Neglected IG Turtle Pond - need help

Absolutely it can do that! It's not the Borax, though.

What will happen is it will start looking a milky blue. That's when you know you've almost won the battle! DO NOT STOP YET!!!! Just keep going and you'll be there soon! It takes a little while for a sand filter to get all the dead algae out, but it sounds like that's exactly where you are now.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! That is just what we wanted to hear! Yesterday's late afternon reading was fc 9.5 and pH 7.2, so I added more Borax to increase pH to 7.4. Then I realized (too late) that my pH reading may have been off due to shocking? I will buy some MA this weekend to have on hand just in case.

This morning's levels:
fc 13.5
cc 1.5

Only lost 1 fc ppm overnight! Can't wait to see sparkly pool water!

Happy Friday :cool:
-Cheryl

zimmech said:
Thanks frogabog. We put enought cya in to reach 20 ppm, and are basing all our chemicals on a filled pool (as we are filling it now). The shock we are using is calcium hypo, so is not adidng any cya to the water. We plan to occasionally use the skimmer tablets in the future so we did not want to add too much cya. We bought more bleach today, and plan to continue solely with bleach to continue shocking once we are out of the powder shock (after tomorrow morning). I probably sound impatient to you all - we have been working on the pool for a month, but had to take a break last week to get married :) and just finally got the pump operational. To me it feels like we have been working on it forever!

Thanks again for your suggestions and assistance! We would be lost without this site!

-Cheryl

You might want to take it easy on the Cal-hypo as well since your pool water is already quite hard.

That makes sense about the cal-hypo and the Ch levels. After last weekend, we switched to bleach only. A local pool store sells a gallon of 12.5% for $3.70 so we have been stocking up!

I would say the water is a milky blue-green. Supposed to be 90 and muggy this weekend and hot hot hot next week too, so hopefully the pool will be ready soon!

We are picking up a 12 ml clear solar cover tonight. Do you think, because its clear, that we could cover the pool with it while still shocking? Then maybe when we can finally swim, the pool will be warmer than 70 lol

Thanks again for all your help. It's great that so many people take time out of their day to help clueless poeple like me!

Have a terrific weekend
-Cheryl

zimmech said:
That makes sense about the cal-hypo and the Ch levels. After last weekend, we switched to bleach only. A local pool store sells a gallon of 12.5% for $3.70 so we have been stocking up!

I would say the water is a milky blue-green. Supposed to be 90 and muggy this weekend and hot hot hot next week too, so hopefully the pool will be ready soon!

We are picking up a 12 ml clear solar cover tonight. Do you think, because its clear, that we could cover the pool with it while still shocking? Then maybe when we can finally swim, the pool will be warmer than 70 lol

Thanks again for all your help. It's great that so many people take time out of their day to help clueless poeple like me!

Have a terrific weekend
-Cheryl

I'm just paying my debt back when I was a newbie and just learning (still learning!) :testkit:

It's already really hot here so we don't even need a solar cover, I need to make a fountain to cool the pool! :cool:
Pool has been running about 88*-90* the last few days.

Chuck

zimmech said:
Yesterday's late afternon reading was fc 9.5 and pH 7.2, so I added more Borax to increase pH to 7.4. Then I realized (too late) that my pH reading may have been off due to shocking? I will buy some MA this weekend to have on hand just in case.
Your pH of 7.2 was just fine and no need to adjust. pH tests can read a false high when FC is above 10. Your pH test should have been accurate.

zimmech said:
It is best to leave the cover off during the day while shocking to allow the sun to help breakdown CC.

Sounds like you are making great progress clearing your pool! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No change from yesterday. Lost just 1 fc overnight and cc holding steady at 1. Can see the botom of the shallow and maybe 5 feet into deep end. I was hoping today would be the big day - high supposed to be around 90. Late 80's to low 90's all week - so maybe tomorrow will be the day! lol. Gotto go get more "POP"

-Cheryl

Still a milky blue pool, but we can see more into the deep end today. My husband is changing the sand, hoping new sand will help clear out the pool. The filter was new on 2001, and the pool hasn't been used since at least 2006, so it may be 10 year old sand. I'm hoping to wake up to sparkly pool water tomorrow! We have been keeping up with shocking (fc 11), have reduced TA to 100, and pH hovers around 7.3. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

We are keeping up with the shock, but still can't see the deep end. My husband dove down to the main drain last night, and found the drain was plugged with sticks (a lot of sticks) and leaves. He cleared that up, and there wasn't much other sediment down there. So hopefully sparkly clear water is just a day or so away now.

I added more MA today, to reduce the TA (100) and the pH (7.8), just enought to bring it down to 90 and 7.2. How long after adding MA is it safe to enter the pool?

Thanks!
-Cheryl

Thank you, everyone on trouble free pool! We followed the BBB method last summer, and this year opened to a sparkling blue pool! Couldn't be happier with the results - we so appreciate everyone's posts and advice. We are looking forward to a great pool season!

Cheryl & Bill

zimmech said:
I added more MA today, to reduce the TA (100) and the pH (7.8), just enought to bring it down to 90 and 7.2. How long after adding MA is it safe to enter the pool?

Thanks!
-Cheryl

30 minutes to an hour, but you shouldn't be swimming while you are shocking the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.