Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is ANY air supposed to be in the pump chamber/basket area?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is ANY air supposed to be in the pump chamber/basket area?

I can't seem to get all air out of my pump basket area ... is there a trick to bleeding it out or is there supposed to be a little air in there? I can go grab a quick video to show what I'm talking about, but basically, below the clear viewing window (above the basket) in the pump chamber there is air. Normally the entire basket is submerged, but it surges/cavitates a little once in awhile and I can see the water level drop slightly below the basket's edge. I suspect a slight leak in the skimmer tubing as it's sometimes wet when the pump is off, leading me to believe that it's pulling air when the pump is running.
    16,000 gallon 27'x52" Above Ground Pool
    Hayward XStream CC1000 Filter w/1HP Pump (hard plumbed)
    My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is ANY air supposed to be in the pump chamber/basket are

Ideally none. Should be full without even a bubble at the top.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a clear lid on my pump strainer, with some cast-in ribs. Usually one of the cavities will have a bubble trapped, maybe an inch diameter. There's nowhere for it to go!

Find and fix your leak. Besides the obvious problem of someday running your pump dry, you also can get a huge air bubble in the filter, which reduces filter area, and if it gets big enough, can force dirty water back through the lines after shut off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by FastCougar
    but it surges/cavitates a little once in awhile and I can see the water level drop slightly below the basket's edge.
    That sounds like a stuck weir door in your skimmer or perhaps the water level is too low and air is getting sucked into the skimmer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

just went out and found my leak ... turned off the pump, ran a towel over the tubing sections between the pump inlet and the skimmer outlet and watched all the seams ... the seam immediately above my cut off valve began to weep. I then realized what I did ... I used CPVC glue on my PVC ... doh!
    My Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

Take a look at this vid and let me know what you think about my water level ... that pipe will be redone today at lunch ... great thing I telework!

[youtube:30dzeoft]oKlf8PsAgCY[/youtube:30dzeoft]
    My Build Thread

7. Back To Top    #7

If the joints are wet when the pump is running, then the leak is outwards but that is to be expected in an AG pool because pressure does not drop below atmospheric in most setups and if does it is near the pump so I doubt those joints are sucking air.

However, based on the skimmer video, it looks like air is being sucked in at the skimmer. I would raise the water level as see if that helps.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

as said above, your pool needs more water