New fill no filtration iron problem

May 13, 2009
Mn
I knew going into this that I would be facing some initial water issues. The pool will be almost full tonight but the electrician can't get here until Tuesday next week. The pool store told me I could run on an extension cord but the installer said no. The pump is 17 amps and we only have 15 amp service.

So I cannot add chlorine until th iron is out. I can't get the iron out until the filter is running...according to the directions. Doesn't the iron remover bind with the iron so filtration is required to get it out and prevent it from settling and staining?

Would I be able to use a 12 gauge extension cord even just for a few days just to get the iron out?

Should I work on the ph in the mean time? We are at 8.2 and alkalinity is 205.
Would it be a good idea to put the cya in now since I can't do anything else?

Thanks for the help!

Check the data plate on the pump and see what the max amp draw is.
You can always try using a 12 awg cord temporarily but make sure it's plugged into a gfci.
I don't think you're going to filter the iron out, but you can get some circulation going and get the sequestrant in there and then some chlorine.
Your pool doesn't need to sit there for 4 days without some circulation.

I have pool magnet plus and it says to have the filter running continuously. Yeah, I cant imagine how nasty it will look with the brown iron water and then aad some algae in! I suppose we could call it an initiation.

I'll see if I can find the max amps. Funny the label doesn't list hp bur the sf is 1.

I'm currently dealing with the reverse problem, have electric but the new Hayward pump didn't work. If I could fix it with an extension cord I wouldn't hesitate. If you have 15 amp service then the worst that should happen (assuming a suitable extension cord) is that the 17 amp pump will trip the breaker and it won't work. Shouldn't hurt to try. Just keep an eye on it, be sure the cord/outlet doesn't get too hot, disconnect when not around or asleep, etc.

The label lists cat - bv35, part - 7-177895-25, type- sp, fr - r48y, hp - nothing, sf-1.0, ph-1, hz-60, rpm -3450, volts-115, amps-17, time -cont, encl-dp, form - phs, code-h

It says century pool/jetted tub motor then below it says ao smith.

Wait! I just found a sticker where the hose goes to the filter and that says 2 hp. Can the pump be different than the motor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.