Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New fill no filtration iron problem

1. Back To Top    #1

New fill no filtration iron problem

I knew going into this that I would be facing some initial water issues. The pool will be almost full tonight but the electrician can't get here until Tuesday next week. The pool store told me I could run on an extension cord but the installer said no. The pump is 17 amps and we only have 15 amp service.

So I cannot add chlorine until th iron is out. I can't get the iron out until the filter is running...according to the directions. Doesn't the iron remover bind with the iron so filtration is required to get it out and prevent it from settling and staining?

Would I be able to use a 12 gauge extension cord even just for a few days just to get the iron out?

Should I work on the ph in the mean time? We are at 8.2 and alkalinity is 205.
    Would it be a good idea to put the cya in now since I can't do anything else?

Thanks for the help!
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New fill no filtration iron problem

Well, I don't know if it's right or not, but I ran on an extension cord for 1 full summer before we got our electric ran. I had no issues. I just unplugged it every night before going to bed.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

Check the data plate on the pump and see what the max amp draw is.
    You can always try using a 12 awg cord temporarily but make sure it's plugged into a gfci.
    I don't think you're going to filter the iron out, but you can get some circulation going and get the sequestrant in there and then some chlorine.
    Your pool doesn't need to sit there for 4 days without some circulation.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have pool magnet plus and it says to have the filter running continuously. Yeah, I cant imagine how nasty it will look with the brown iron water and then aad some algae in! I suppose we could call it an initiation.

I'll see if I can find the max amps. Funny the label doesn't list hp bur the sf is 1.

5. Back To Top    #5

My bet is that it draws close ot 12 amps (that's not what the plate will say). The only issue you'll probably have is the startup current.

Is it a Dyanamo pump?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

It is the family leisure brand. It has an Eco kleer sticker but says waterway. I think it is strange that hp is blank. How do I know what hp it really is?

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm currently dealing with the reverse problem, have electric but the new Hayward pump didn't work. If I could fix it with an extension cord I wouldn't hesitate. If you have 15 amp service then the worst that should happen (assuming a suitable extension cord) is that the 17 amp pump will trip the breaker and it won't work. Shouldn't hurt to try. Just keep an eye on it, be sure the cord/outlet doesn't get too hot, disconnect when not around or asleep, etc.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you look on the pump some where there should be a label that has a number on it. Most likely a square label with 1.5 HP on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

The label lists cat - bv35, part - 7-177895-25, type- sp, fr - r48y, hp - nothing, sf-1.0, ph-1, hz-60, rpm -3450, volts-115, amps-17, time -cont, encl-dp, form - phs, code-h

It says century pool/jetted tub motor then below it says ao smith.

Wait! I just found a sticker where the hose goes to the filter and that says 2 hp. Can the pump be different than the motor?

10. Back To Top    #10

They just label things funky. If they don't put the hp on the data plate they can call it what ever hp they want to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator