Dilemma -- Size of Pool

Jun 19, 2011
We built our in ground gunite pool 11 years ago. There were a number of design iterations, and I recall the size started out at 15,000 gallons (a stock design for this company) but as the county messed with our site plan, I recall seeing a piece of paper that showed the modifications reduced the size to 13,000 gallons.

Unfortunately, the only paper I've retained over the years all shows the 15,000 gallons so I am wondering if my memory is just incorrect. The pool is curvilinear with no straight sides anywhere so its not just a matter of calculating a volume from length, width, and depth.

Here's the question: if I can't settle this, what number should I use in calculating amounts of chemicals to add, or assessing the outcomes of tests? 15K, 13K, or pehaps the "happy middle" 14K?

I had a similar issue and I used the pool calc with trial and error to arrive at the number. Pick a number, say 14k gallons. Add a carefully measured amount of MA or Chlorine to adjust pH or FC. If the move is bigger than expected, lower the guess to 13,000 and try again. If you didn't get the full effect, increase the size in calc to 15,000 and so on until you narrow it down.

I was told my pool was "about 15,000 gallons." So I used the calculator for 15,000 gallons and kept coming up short. Not by much, but consistent. So I plugged in 15,500 and it got better. At 16,000 everything matched. I've never felt the need to try any higher number, or get it any closer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.