Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water fill- Leveler (Levolor) question

1. Back To Top    #1

Water fill- Leveler (Levolor) question

My pool was not built with an automatic leveler. After a decade of running the hose I decided to invest in a retrofit automatic leveler. I bought a new Jandy Levolor II controller on ebay, but it came without the sensor/wire.

I don't have a standpipe, so the sensor will be located in the skimmer. I have heard that their sensor is the weak link in their design. Their sensor is normally open and comes with (2)18-gauge wire. It has two probes that touch the water when the level is reached. When the water level drops, the circuit opens and the unit turns on. It operates as a primitive conductive sensor.

Has anyone substituted a different sensor instead of the one supplied? The price of their sensor is extreme for what it is. ($100.00 shipped.) I can actually buy an ultrasonic sensor for less, but I'm not sure how I would wire it into the controller.

Any suggestions or advice?
    13,300 gallon pool
    2"Ø suction with Kreepy Krauly (1994-1999 model)
    1-1/2"Ø discharge with 4 jets
    Pac-Fab Nautilus NS36 DE filter
    2-speed 3/4 Challenger High Head pump with Emerson EB980 motor and 35-5187 impeller
    Hasa 8-gallon liquidator with 1/2" tubing
    Researching an evil Ionizer with a K-1730 Taylor copper test kit
    Planning installation of Jandy levelor water leveler. (Need sensor.)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Water fill- Leveler (Levolor) question

No idea...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden