CYA banned from pools in NY?

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
I was helping my friend out who runs a campground in NY State. He wanted to switch from a chlorinator to a SWG system. So I found the system he wanted and gave him a good price. I told him about keeping his stabilizer higher than normal and keep an eye out for the pH level to creep up. He then mentioned that he can't add Cynauric to the pool as it is against the law since it's a public pool. Anyone have any idea if this is true or how to look it up? I thought this was weird since he was using a chlorinator and as far as I know the only chemical that you can put into them is Tri-Chlor which contains stabilizer. By the way the area is Ovid, NY just in case there are state laws and local laws that overlap.

South Carolina Dept of Health & Environmental Control has put a similar ban on CA. Last year Max was 150. This year it was lowered to 100. 1st offense warning and it needs to be corrected. 2nd offense (they come back a week later) pool closed until CyA is lowered.

Most of the commercial pools have switched to SWG or Liquid Chlorine feeders.

As far as it being against the law. I don't see how any governing body, would ban CyA totally, as it's a important part of balanced chemistry.

Subpart 6-1 of the New York State Sanitary Code says the following (bold emphasis mine):

6.1-11 Treatment.
(c) Disinfection.
(1) Disinfection with chlorine. When chlorine gas, calcium hypochlorite or sodium hypochlorite is used to disinfect a swimming pool and the pool water pH is less than or equal to 7.8, the dose of chlorine or chlorine compound shall be sufficient to maintain a concentration of at least 0.6 mg/l free chlorine throughout the swimming pool. When the pH is between 7.8 and 8.2, a concentration of at least 1.5 mg/l free chlorine residual shall be maintained. A free chlorine residual of 5.0 mg/l or a pH of 8.2 shall not be exceeded in any swimming pool during use. All chlorine solutions shall be added to the pool water by chemical feed equipment conforming with standards contained in Section 6-1.29, Item 11.1 of this Subpart.
(4) Use of cyanuric acid-based chlorine (or any other chlorine stabilizer) is prohibited. Pools found using or containing any cyanuric compound shall be closed, drained and refilled prior to continued use.
I believe this ban of CYA in commercial/public pools (and spas) in New York State came about as an over-reaction to some outbreak, possibly of Crypto.

He'd be better off with a liquid fed system or a commercial multi cell system like Auto-Pilot has that can meet the elevated demand resulting from the lack of CYA.

In Pennsylvania, you need a pesticide license to add algaecide if you are a service tech.

Scott

chem geek said:
Subpart 6-1 of the New York State Sanitary Code says the following (bold emphasis mine):

6.1-11 Treatment.
(c) Disinfection.
(1) Disinfection with chlorine. When chlorine gas, calcium hypochlorite or sodium hypochlorite is used to disinfect a swimming pool and the pool water pH is less than or equal to 7.8, the dose of chlorine or chlorine compound shall be sufficient to maintain a concentration of at least 0.6 mg/l free chlorine throughout the swimming pool. When the pH is between 7.8 and 8.2, a concentration of at least 1.5 mg/l free chlorine residual shall be maintained. A free chlorine residual of 5.0 mg/l or a pH of 8.2 shall not be exceeded in any swimming pool during use. All chlorine solutions shall be added to the pool water by chemical feed equipment conforming with standards contained in Section 6-1.29, Item 11.1 of this Subpart.
(4) Use of cyanuric acid-based chlorine (or any other chlorine stabilizer) is prohibited. Pools found using or containing any cyanuric compound shall be closed, drained and refilled prior to continued use.
I believe this ban of CYA in commercial/public pools (and spas) in New York State came about as an over-reaction to some outbreak, possibly of Crypto.

One more reason to live in the south. Justbpicking y'all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.