No matter what mode, flow is 100% spa (0% pool return)

Hello all... been lurking here for quite some time and have learned so much! But now I'm finally stumped to the point of tears (well, nearly).

SETUP: Very small in-ground pebble “plunge pool” (~5k gal) with raised spillover spa and separate water feature. All valves are Jandy. All equipment is Pentair... IntelliChlor chlorinator. IntelliTouch outdoor control panel with indoor control pad. WhisperFlo pumps (one each for pool, spa jets, water feature). Pentair FNS+ 60sf DE filter.

Problems started with spa draining back to pool when not running equipment. Replaced check valve. Spa still drains back into pool, but it’s an intermittent issue.

Then, one day, water circulation began to go entirely to the spa—zero flow from pool returns, spa/spillover flow at 100%. Tried adjusting spa bypass valve, no affect, whatsoever. Disassembled spa bypass valve (Jandy neverlube)—all appears to be fine.

Finally noticed that one of two actuator-controlled valves NEVER moves, no matter what setting I select. Furthermore, this valve is not labeled, so I’m not sure what it does. Since it’s next in line after the chlorinator, I’m assuming it controls the flow to either the pool or the spa, but it’s not completely clear to me.

Whatever the case, it seems almost certain this is the source of my troubles. I just don’t know how to diagnose it and I don’t know what to do to fix my problem. Will somebody PLEASE look at my setup and tell me (1) the function of the actuated valve at the top of my setup, and (2) whether this is the source of my problems. If it’s a bad actuator, what do I do?

I’m very handy “for a woman” (far handier than Mr. Abroad), but I must admit that electrical/electronic components intimidate me a little… and I am sick to death of dealing with this bloody pool.

I desperately need to get this resolved before I return abroad (two weeks from now).

Thanks so much for any advice/assistance!

p.s., i can provide close-up pix... just thought a full shot would be best to start...

Attachments

• EQUIPMENT 1.jpg
    EQUIPMENT 1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 114
Re: Regardless of valve settings, 100% spa, 0% pool return f

Welcome to TFP!

The upper valve, middle pipe, selects between pool and spa returns. It is labeled on the pipe above, the one with the check valve with a clear top. If that valve is not turning when you switch modes then the problem is going to be either the valve actuator, the cable, or the automation system. I would start by checking the cable between the valve actuator and the automation main panel. Make sure the cable is connected at both ends and not cut anywhere.

Thanks, Jason... checked the cable and all is well, as expected. It's strapped snugly to the piping, so virtually impossible for it to come loose, and nothing has changed out there in recent weeks.

I'm not sure that it makes sense that it would be the automation system. When I manually change modes, the lower valve moves fine. That seems to suggest that the system is sending signal. But clearly I'm no expert... ;)

What would you suggest I do next? Seems that replacing the actuator is logical... unless it's something that might be easily repaired by a layperson... ???

Wah... :(

If the lever moves manually, but the flow doesn't move to match, I'd look for something sheared inside. Or jammed.
It's only plastic, after all. Break out a screwdriver and start taking things apart. I guess that's the mechanic in me talking...

Thanks, Richard. I meant to say, no matter what mode I select (using the IntelliTouch panel), that upper valve doesn't change position. I changed my post title to make it a bit clearer. It's an actuated valve, and doesn't seem to move manually. Unless I'm just being too wimpy--I'm afraid to force it.

Can anybody tell me whether these are repairable? I'm ready to go to Leslie's and buy a new one before my pool turns into a swamp.

Looks like you can manually move it, so your pool won't turn green until you figure things out.
https://shop.solardirect.com/pdf/pool-h ... manual.pdf
4.3 Manual Override, Power Off
1. Move toggle switch located on the bottom of actuator to the OFF (center) position.
2. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the locking
knob above the handle four (4) full turns.
3. Push down on the locking knob (not the handle). This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle, and thus the valve diverter, to be moved to any position.
4. To return the actuator to automatic position, pull up on the handle while turning it clockwise or ounterclockwise until you feel the shaft slide up into the gear train. Turn the locking knob down (clockwise) until snug.
5. Put toggle switch back to the original position.
There are some pictures in that manual

Richard, thanks so much for posting the link to the manual... not sure why I never it found it my many searches.

Anyway. The manual override did not work for me, either because I'm too weak (yes) or because there's something seized up in the actuator or ???

So, I ended up removing the actuator entirely and operating the valve manually that way. This resulted in the pool returns being operational, but my spa still drained out overnight after I shut off the system... WTH???

I'm thinking (hoping?) I simply have gotten some setting wrong on the IntelliTouch panel. I'm just so incredibly frustrated. Also, I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but I thought it was odd that when I turned the valve as far away from "full spa" as it will go, I still get spa circulation and spa spillover (regardless of the bypass valve position). Does this sound right?

I really need to be able to leave town knowing that (1) the pool will circulate properly, and (2) the spa won't drain out.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYBODY? PLEASE??? I'm feeling quite desperate now...

EDIT TO ADD:

I searched again through all the old threads seeking spa drainage info (as I've done several times in the past) and I found one that leads me to believe that the pool/spa return valve may be bad. Since I've already got the actuator removed from that valve, I'm planning to pop the top and check the seals, etc. Is there anything else I should be looking at here?

Also, assuming this valve is the source of the spa troubles, and assuming I'm able to correct the problem, is there any reason why I can't leave the valve manually positioned in pool return mode (without the actuator)? Nobody will be using the spa for several months...

Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.