Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 6" thickness vs 8" thickness. Worth the $1,700 to upgrade?

1. Back To Top    #1

6" thickness vs 8" thickness. Worth the $1,700 to upgrade?

Me again!

Of the two PB's I have narrowed it down to, PB 1 uses 8" thickness as standard for IG gunite, and PB 2 uses 6".

PB 1 - the one who uses 8" - is much more expensive than PB 2.

I asked PB 2 if I can upgrade to 8" and if it is a good idea. He said that he could do it for $1,700, but that his company didn't usually do more than 6" for a pool of my depth (4' to 6') and that he felt the money could be better spent on decking or landscaping, and that 8" was "overkill."

Your thoughts? (We are in N.C.)

18x36 Vinyl inground, sand filter, SWG Autopilot 60, 1 1/2 hayward pump, 300k heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Our bond beam is 12" and the shell 8". I am not sure if there is a "standard" thickness.

We need the moderators to chime in...

Post a different thread about the final specifics of your pool build. Post some pics of the pre-build location. I am looking forward to following your build.
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump