Another newbie with many pool Qs

Jul 7, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
Hey all,
Brand new to the forums. I have been reading over dozens of pages of posts searching for some answers. Great stuff here. I hope this is the proper place to post this. If not, please feel free to move it.

My wife and I are in Mesa, Arizona (Phoenix suburb) and are looking to put a pool in very soon. We have visited three PBs including Shasta, California and Presidential. Right now, it seems to be down to Shasta and Presidential. For anyone in the PHX Metro, would you recommend one over another or a different PB altogether?

We are looking at a simple play pool, about an 80 perimeter with a built in table and baja deck. It will be free form and roughly 14' x 24" at its longest points. Depth from baja deck/table to other end would be a 3' x 5' x 4' with a small bench on the 4' side. 18-24" wide acrylic decking. Cartridge filter system.

On to the pool questions.

1. Plaster finish. As we like to 'play' in or pool (volleyball/basketball/etc), we really like the smooth finish. The parents have PebbleTec and it is rough on the feet. My sister has plaster which you can run around in all day. Is plaster still a good way to go? I see they have an upgraded plaster now that is supposed be stronger than the plaster of old and last longer. I have heard of PebbleTec Fina, however I imagine the cost difference might be substantial.

2. Water features. We are really just looking for a basic starter type pool. However, after having looked around, I like the look of the waterblade. Are these a fairly inexpensive feature versus something like a waterfall or bubbler fountain in the baja shelf?

3. Pool cleaners. In ground or creepy-crawler? Again, worth the cost difference. My parents have the in-floor pop ups, the sister uses a crawler. It seems the crawler does just as good a job if not better to me. Don't the in-ground just seems to push the dust and dirt around more than anything? If there is one thing we get a LOT of, it's dust (very dry here in summer).

4. Heating. We cannot afford a built in heating system but are curious to learn more about Solar heating using the radiator layout on the tile roof where it cycles through the plumbing. They seem fairly common out here in AZ, just wonder if they are worth the investment or if they are any better than just getting a solar cover. Solar rings as well?

That's about all I can come up with for now. We are meeting this weekend to go over some designs which may introduce more questions.

I greatly appreciate any and all feedback/opinions from everyone.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

1) Plaster is still a great finish. Pebble Fina isn't nearly as smooth as plaster, but still way smoother than regular Pebble Tec.
2) Deck jets are one of the least expensive water features. I expect a waterblade to be noticeably more, but still a lot less than a fancy waterfall.
3) It partly has to do with the pool size. The fancier cleaners are a better value with a larger pool.
4) A solar heat system is probably the best available choice. A good solar system will get quite a bit more heat than a solar cover along, and you can use both at once.

Thank you for the welcome!

The deck jets are an idea I had not even thought about. The Pentair LED deck jets look really cool, although I imagine much costlier than just the standard style. That solid color stream just looks so nice though.

I appreciate your input. We're actually going to meet 2 of the PB's tomorrow for the second time and hopefully we'll be able to chose one and begin moving forward on the details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.