Intex ladder stabilizer

jamok

Jun 23, 2011
We just got done upgrading our old 16' intex ring pool to a 24' ultra frame pool. We are having problems with keeping the new ladder from moving. With all the cost of the pool, leveling and a few other things we needed, we are looking at trying to make the ladder not move much for a low cost. I was thinking of putting the legs that are not in the pool on block dug into the ground, but was concerned about our 7 year old boy from jumping off the ladder and causing damaging the liner. I think I saw something about someone putting blocks in the pool to put the ladder on, but was also not sure of the damage it could cause. I also thought of putting a long stake into the ground and attaching it to the ladder. Any low cost ideas would be a great help

I dont allow any jumping from the ladder or pushing off of the walls in my blue blob, grounds for ejection. Not only is it dangerous for the liner, it is dangerous for the kid. One ejection has quite the effect...

I like your exterior ground stabilizing idea, Dig a hole with a post hole digger, set a post in concrete or tamped soil {if your soil will handle it}, move the ladder over to it and make attachments.

We use bungies at the outside base, pulling towards the pool. The feet are stopped from going in by the walls of the kiddie pool that the ladder sits in outside (to clean feet). The weight of the kiddie pool with water in it holds the ladder tight against the walls so that the bungies can secure it.

Kiddie pool is on a "pad" of pavers, two high.

The ladder can damage the liner if they jump or rub too much against it although this year with the ladder tipped higher on the outside with the bungies pulling it tight, it's nowhere close to hitting when they jump from it. I've already patched the area that hangs on the tubing from last year's abuse (a little frayed, but not a hole), and I see where it also did damage where we originally had the ladder last year and we even padded the area with pool noodles.

I will go take a picture. We recently moved the ladder so it looks a little different than the last time I posted ladder/kiddie pool pics.

I would like to see that. I looked to see if I could see your other pictures, but you post a lot. :)
I did see something that looked like a liner from someones pool that you would put under the ladder to help protect the liner.

You can use a rubber bathtub mat with the little suction cups underneath to protect the liner from the ladder inside the pool. I would institute a rule about no jumping from the ladder, they are just not sturdy enough.

Ladderfeet.jpg

I dont know, maybe I'm over-analyzing things, but I can easily see where someone could slip while on the ladder. They arent exactly sturdy and do move around a bit, more so when when someone is using it as a jumping point.

I can also see someone's leg sliding between the rungs. If that were to happen as they were entering the pool, and they were facing the water, they could end up stuck in the rungs, face down in the water.

I really dislike the ladder that comes with the Intex pools. I lucked out and picked up a nice AGP ladder that was being thrown away. It has a blow-molded {think Lil Tykes toys} section that is in the pool, a solid piece with no openings. I still dont allow jumping.

Thats interesting. Are you worried about the ladder pulling out the legs of the pool? I was also just thinking about getting patio stones and covering them in dip it or some other rubberizer and then using them in the pool as well as a couple outside the pool. We do not have the slits on our pool to put the leg rope in and at some point thought of using rope with tent stakes between each legs.

OK, so sorry that was just an image. I decided to do it the cool way and try to post from my son's iPod while grilling dinner. Which meant I had to buy a ftp app to upload images to my server. And then the buttons were so tiny that I hit submit on accident without any text. Gonna have to get me my own fancy iPod someday, mine is nowhere near this cool.

We usually have a pad under the feet inside the pool, but haven't inserted it yet this year.

We do allow jumping, and while I understand the risks of entrapment (ex safety professional here) they're big kids and slipping hasn't occurred yet (going on 5y of increasing size blue pools w/same ladders). Only one kid can fit under the ladder without swimming to the floor anyway. The little one (avatar vacuum girl) is getting bigger every day, at 8 now she's quite the little fish.

Y'all have to understand one important thing... the pool is so freakin cold that you HAVE to jump in if you're going to get all the way in. No halvesies about it... no meekly lowering yourself into the pool... must jump and go under if you're going in or you'll never actually get in the pool. And then of course you can't stand up, must submerge to the shoulders so the pool can start feeling "warm" (this is actually hypothermia training, we're planning a jean and tennis shoe hike to the top of Mt. Everest soon and they should be prepared).

Apologies for the dirty foot bath pool, I haven't vacuumed it for about a week. Haven't changed the water in there since filling, the trichlor keeps it sanitized but dirt does fall in. The weather has not been cooperating for day in day out swimming lately and I have LOTS of vegetation surrounding the pool plus some lovely dead sod (mud). Our yard is barely big enough to hold the pool in the first place, we're maxed out at 15' round.

Here's a few more images, just for kicks. The bungies work very well to keep the ladder in place by pulling against the walls of the kiddie pool, it can't move towards the pool, nor side to side. Don't mind the ugly neighbors house... the latice is supposed to help block our view of it <cringe>.

Laddertilt.jpg

new tilt this year
Lowerbungee.jpg

the lower bungee wrap
Topbungee.jpg

top bungee wrap
Kiddiepool.jpg

double pavers as a "pad" since the grass died anyway...

jamok said:
Thats interesting. Are you worried about the ladder pulling out the legs of the pool? I was also just thinking about getting patio stones and covering them in dip it or some other rubberizer and then using them in the pool as well as a couple outside the pool. We do not have the slits on our pool to put the leg rope in and at some point thought of using rope with tent stakes between each legs.

Not in the least. Ever tried to move/adjust/lift one of those with a pool full of water? Even my big boys couldn't budge them. The pull of the bungees is rather harmless. This is year two with this pool, nothing has shifted. When I push on the ladder, the bungees stretch rather than actually pull on the legs anyway. If they were rope it might be an issue but the bungee gives well before the legs would actually have any force at all applied.

FWIW... these are not my own brilliant designs. H does the bungee mods on the pool, I simply watch and accept them because frustratingly enough... they work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see that you do not that flap that gets attached to the ladder inside the pool. Is that so you can pull back the ladder out ot the pool. And with the settup you have it does not move much?

It was annoying, it inhibited the skimmer action. We just don't use it. No one gets stuck, or even close although if they were younger kids I might worry more. No one goes under the ladder much except to do a quick swim through. Everyone who uses the pool is at least chest high to the water level. I keep it a little low to reduce splash out.

We don't remove the ladder much if at all. Just tip it up to vacuum underneath. It doesn't really move much with this setup. Last year's setup however, it did push in towards the liner which damaged it at the top rail. I put a big patch on and moved the ladder. Now it never touches the liner no matter how forcibly they jump.

I thought that thing was to just help make the ladder not move much.
With the water being cold, does having the small pool you have to walk into before you get into the big cold pool make it easier to get in?
Does that small filter you have behind the ladder go into your big pool? We have another fliter, ubt I could not get it to work by going over the railing.

IIRC, it had entrapment warnings on it, I thought it was intended for that. It's been a year since we opened the box for the pool, and I'm old so I can't remember much hehe...

As far as the little pool... nothing does much to help with the cold pool but jumping in and staying down long enough to become a little hypothermic :~} Actually, the kids do ok when they're moving, which they do most of the time if there's more than one in there at a time. Sun will bring it closer to 72 once it decides to hang out more than half a day at a time.

The size of the kiddie pool came after years of using a smaller foot washing container that got bypassed way too frequently. The size of the pool means more kids step in it before they get in. Basic parental schemery intended to enforce compliance upon the little people. It just so happened that once the ladder feet were in the small pool, we realized it worked well to stabilize the ladder some and added bungees to make it solid.

The filter behind the ladder is actually the main one with the skimmer. To get an over the side pump to work you have to prime it manually. Sometimes we can prime it by just juggling under the surface (with pump OFF and air valve open), or you can pour water into the suction line with a cup till it fills up the line, pump, and as much of the return as will go in. Then you've got to slip the bat weight over the end, attach the strainer, tighten w/clamp (we use inner tube rubber to cover the hose clamp), and drop it down to the bottom.

While doing all the above (except pouring w/cup to prime), the end must be underwater or you'll loose your prime. After that, bleed the air with the valve on the pump, close and plug in. If there is any air remaining, tip the pump so the outlet is higher than the inlet and it'll make a cavitating racket as the air gets expelled. Tip and un-tip a few times (don't let it cavitate too long) till no more bubbles go through.

The bat weight is essential. Without something to weigh down the suction end it will float up and suck air, ruin your pump.

I got bungee cords and hooked them to stakes because I was concerned with pulling on the legs. That didn't seem to make much difference is moving. I then took 4 stacks and used 2 on each leg (the kind of stake that had a long piece to go over the leg a little and on on each side of each leg) on the outside of the pool. This did make a big difference. The only thing I have a problem with now is that it does move a little in and out instead of left to right. I also got a bath matt and put under the legs in the pool and that makes me and the wife feel better.

We had that problem last year w/o the kiddie pool. That's why there's damage to the liner where it goes over the rail.

I got a couple of... ahhem... big boys who jump from the ladder. (I know... I still let them do it, they like to.) Without the counter pull (water weighted and walled pool) the ladder did move a lot more than we wanted. Bungees stretch, they'll give before the legs or stakes will always. Our legs are nice and secure with the water keeping them in place. The force of the water is incredibly greater than jumpers so I do not worry about them moving.

Raising the ladder on one side keeps it far enough away from the rail that movement will not be an issue this year. At ground level the plastic ladder brace was hovering just above the rail and it did damage the liner.

We also do not have the rope at the bottom of our legs, so I would guess that the starps would ride up the leg. I got long straps. I guess I should of gotten some smaller ones and hook it to the top of the T joint.

I don't even know what that rope around the pool really does... I suppose it keeps the feet sucked in towards the pool but it's not really even that tight. It stretches some, and we have ours tightened as much as possible. If the legs were going to move, the rope would not prevent it I'm afraid.

Straps from feet to top rail might just pull the ladder up on the outside. Can you attach the straps to both the top rail and the very bottom of the legs? That might provide some good counter pull towards the ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.