Want to get This Right!

lg94

Jul 6, 2011
Help!! We set up our AG 20 x 48 pool last weekend & it has taken this long to get it filled! I came across this site and forum a couple days ago & am so happy I did!! I'm hoping you all can give me the help I so desperately need!! My TF 100 is on its way, but I had a test run at the local pool store on the 5th. When I had the test done, the pool was about 1/2 full & the water was slightly yellow. Now, the water is up to where I can finally run the filter, but has turned green. So, a couple of questions. :? Do I go ahead & just follow the guidelines and target numbers under the first four days in the Beginners Guide for Seasonal Pools? Will this get rid of the green? I have the Pool Calculator & used the following results to determine how much bleach & CYA to add:
FC: 0.0ppm
TC: 0.3ppm
CH: 225 ppm
CYA: 8ppm
TA: 197ppm
pH: 7.8

Any advice or help would be apperciated!! I have two very excited little boys who want to swim asap & a birthday party on the 16th I'd like to be ready for!
Thanks in advance!

Add enough muriatic acid to lower your PH to 7.2-7.4. Put enough bleach in it NOW to get it to around 5ppm to see if that clears your green tint. If not, you're gonna have to shock it if it's been sitting there a week uncirculated with no chlorine. Welcome.

Is the water clear green or cloudy green? Did you use well water to fill the pool? You will need to add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm to protect your chlorine. Also add enough chlorine to raise the pool to the recommended levels. Use the The Pool Calculator to determine how much chlorine and CYA to add. If the water is clear green you may have metals in the water. Let us know and we can advise you on how to deal with it.

We did use well water, and the water is a cloudy green (can't see the bottom of pool). On the test sheet from the store it listed 0.02 ppm copper and 0 ppm iron. Sorry I forgot that in my original post. I am off to add bleach & CYA right now! I know I'm a dork, but is it wrong to be as excited as I am to get this going?!? I feel like a 6 year old on Christmas Eve!!

Its never dorky to be excited about something you love! Those are the things that add joy to our lives, embrace your inner dork!

Look for a sequesterant for copper, Jack's magic is a good brand. You will likely need to complete the shock process to clear up the cloudiness.

Thanks for the quick response!! Ok, I'm looking at the shock process & Chlorine/CYA Chart. I want to make sure I'm reading the chart correctly. Because I want my FC to be 6, I look at the line where the Target FC is 6 and enter the Shock FC, (20 in this case) into the calculator to see how much bleach to add. Also, I added the recommended amount of CYA to a couple of socks (I have small feet) and put them in the strainer & tied to the ladder. I need to up the amount of CYA right away (50 if I'm reading the chart correctly) as well, correct? I better find more socks! :p

lg94 said:
Thanks for the quick response!! Ok, I'm looking at the shock process & Chlorine/CYA Chart. I want to make sure I'm reading the chart correctly. Because I want my FC to be 6, I look at the line where the Target FC is 6 and enter the Shock FC, (20 in this case) into the calculator to see how much bleach to add. Also, I added the recommended amount of CYA to a couple of socks (I have small feet) and put them in the strainer & tied to the ladder. I need to up the amount of CYA right away (50 if I'm reading the chart correctly) as well, correct? I better find more socks! :p
Your shock level is about 10, not 20! Assuming I am reading correctly....CYA of 12ish?

Also, only add enough CYA to reach 30 for now.
24 hours after the CYA is dissolved from the 'little' :mrgreen: socks, assume it is in your water and adjust your FC levels accordingly.

You may or may not need to get to 50 CYA - depends on more factors like where your are located (city and state), or if your pool is in full sun, etc.

Butterfly-This is why I ask questions. I was looking at the Target FC, not the CYA, like the directions said. So, yes, I guess my shock level will be 10. Making my shopping list for tomorrow: more bleach, muriatic acid, Jack's magic. Anyone else need something?

lg94 said:
Butterfly-This is why I ask questions. I was looking at the Target FC, not the CYA, like the directions said. So, yes, I guess my shock level will be 10. Making my shopping list for tomorrow: more bleach, muriatic acid, Jack's magic. Anyone else need something?
Anytime you want someone to help confirm numbers, you just holler.

We have lots of members around willing and able to help :-D

Good morning!! Last night I added bleach based on the calculator's recommendation for a shock level of 10. Took water test into town this morning & just got back with test results. They were as follows:
FC: 3.0ppm
TC: 3.2ppm
CH: 152ppm
CYA: 8ppm
TA: 242ppm
pH: 8.5
I was excited that none of the numbers shocked me based on what I've learned here so far! You all are some pretty fantasic teachers!! I bought my muriatic acid & more bleach, but was unable to locate the Jack's magic. Will a metal reducer from the pool supply section work for this?
So based on these numbers I'm off to add 1 gallon of bleach & 28 oz of acid. Here's where my question begins now. Because my test kit is still on it's way, I don't have a way to test my FC every couple of hours like I'd like to & add more bleach. Is it ok to go ahead & add a gallon every couple of hours & get another test done in the afternoon when I go back to town? I figure because my CYA is so low and the pool is in direct sunllight most of the day, the bleach is going to be disappearing quickly, & adding a gallon like that shouldn't be too harmful. However, please correct me if I'm way off or if I should do something different.
Water was not nasty green this morning, more milky looking. I feel like progress is beginning & I don't want to lose it!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thought it might be fun to document this occasion & track my progress. At least what I hope is progress! :mrgreen: I hope this works. I am new to resizing pictures so I hope they look ok once I post. Also cannot wait for my test kit to arrive! I hate shooting in the dark! Am getting a second test done in town in a couple of hours & hopefully my kit will be here tomorrow or it's going to be a loooonnngggg weekend!
[attachment=2:3lqg5ssb]Pool July 7.JPG[/attachment:3lqg5ssb]
[attachment=1:3lqg5ssb]Pool July 8 in morning.JPG[/attachment:3lqg5ssb]
[attachment=0:3lqg5ssb]Pool July 8 in early afternoon.JPG[/attachment:3lqg5ssb]

Not sure how much you can tell from these, especially without numbers(!), but does it look like we are going in the right direction?

Attachments

• Pool July 7.JPG
    Pool July 7.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Pool July 8 in morning.JPG
    Pool July 8 in morning.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 253
  • Pool July 8 in early afternoon.JPG
    Pool July 8 in early afternoon.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 253
Adding bleach without knowing the number can be done but you risk bleaching out your liner. Make sure you allow at least 30 minutes between adding the acid and the bleach, they dont play well together. Since you have added stabilizer to bring your CYA up to approx 50 you want to treat your pool as if the CYA was 50.

I only added enough CYA to get to 30 as was recommended by Butterfly last night. Should I increase that to try and get it to 50 now? It hasn't been 24 hrs since I've added the orginal amount & my last test (this morning) had it at 8ppm. I did wait a 1/2 hour between adding the acid & bleach. :goodjob: And I'm just adding 1/2 gallon of bleach right now every couple of hours. Thanks for your help! I'm just hoping you guys don't think I'm totally off my rocker here! :hammer:

I think a 1/2 gallon of bleach every couple of hours is fine and it looks like you are making good progress so far. Hold off on the sequesterant for now, we can revisit that after the shock process is completed so we can determine if you really need it. Wait until after the shock process to add more CYA. Again, we will check and see if more is needed.

Thank you, zea! I needed that little boost as I was beginning to worry because I'm not crunching numbers as often as I'd like. I'll post new test results when I get them & see where we go from there!

frogabog said:
Your pics got me all giddy and excited for you. Sure looks like progress to me :~}

Thanks, fragabog! Nice to know others are excited to see progress like I am!! Just got home from town though and all I can think is, "Arrrggg!" :rant: The kid working in the hardware store this morning when I went to buy my MA told me they do free water tests. So I thought, "Cool! I'll get one from here this afternoon to see some numbers!" Well I took in my sample and he lost me right away as he pulled out a strip tester, claiming he could tell me exactly what I needed to do to my water. Well he dips the strip & puts it into the reader & of course can't give me numbers! He begins by telling me my pH is high, so I ask for the number & all he can tell me was that it was so high it read as an error. He also tells me my chlorine is high, but can't give numbers! So basically time wasted! :hammer:

Not sure where to go from here. I think just keep adding 1/2 gallon of bleach every couple of hours until tonight, but I'm concerned about the pH. I added 28 oz at 11. I know I need numbers, & my test kit is in Indy, so I'm hoping that means delivery for me tomorrow! Just looking for friendly advice on what to do until then! :wink:

Don't worry about your pH. As you said, you just lowered it this morning :)

You have done exactly the right thing.

We don't test pH during shocking or any time FC is over 10ish because it can/will skew the results.
Hence, the poor kid in the hardware store w/the strip dip test - skewed his little tester up, huh :mrgreen:

When you get your kit, you can run all your tests. But remember that if your FC is over 10, you should let it drop down below 10, and then test your pH.

Now, keep doing what you are doing, but just relax those nooks and crannies until your real test kit arrives - don't worry.
Here, have some popcorn ::epds::

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.