Hello. I am new here but have had a pool for years. My pool is a 34ft round, 52" high. 27,500 gal.. I have a 1.5 HP pump and a starite sand filter.
My problem is that 2 weeks ago I came home from out of town to an algae bloom. I shocked with 3 lbs trichlor. I then swept and vacuumed. All the stuff on the bottom of a still crystal clear pool then went into the water , turning it green.
I shocked again , a week ago with 5 lbs of shock (again, powdered from Wal-mart). Pool better but very cloudy. I then put in clarifier and vacuumed to waste. Pool better but not clear, just a little bit cloudy but tested OK..
I then had a pool party . Lots of swimmers. Pool is now very cloudy. I shocked again , this time 5 lbs. Took my water sample in as water is still cloudy.
My FAC is 8.67., TC is 9.24, CC is .57,PH 7.1. CH is 255 and CYA is 12.
Pool store said CYA is great and to shock again with another 5 lbs of shock as the TC is higher than the FAC.
Is this correct and do I need to raise the CYA level? This is the first time I have not been able to get my pool back to normal. Please advise...I am getting very frustrated ( ...as I know all of us do!)
Thanks so much for your help and consideration.