Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Minnesota

Safe to swim?

I had a sudden algae problem occur on the bottom of my pool. I was at the minimum FC level for a couple of weeks, and that must have been low enough for algae to start.

My initial readings a before shocking were:
    FC 3
    CC 0.5
    TC 3.5
    pH 7.8
    T/A 100
    CH 70
    CYA 40
    Temp 87F

So I high shocked to the following a couple of days ago:
    FC 23
    CC 0.5
    TC 23.5
    pH 8.2
    Temp 83F

Today here is my current readings:
    CC 0.5
    TC 20
    pH 8.2
    Temp 83F

I realize the pH is high. The pH was 7.8 before shocking. Are pH readings not accurate at shock level?
    My biggest question, is I have the iPhone pool calculator which for my chem readings, says
    FC Normal 3 to 7
    FC Shock 15
    FC High Shock 24

Is it safe to swim at a FC of 19? I have searched the board, and it is general consensus that it is OK to swim at "Shock" level. Does that mean the regular shock level, or the High Shock level?
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Safe to swim?

I have assumed it to be regular shock level. You may want to wait one more day to swim. High FC will raise pH temporarily.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Safe to swim?

I would wait until it is below "normal" shock level myself. It's not clearly posted which level you need to be below, but I'd rather be safe... esp if there are other people and kids involved.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.