DIY 1000 gal Intex SWG ... pool chem newbee

Jul 7, 2011
Just looking for a pointers before i go on a chem dumping free-for-all. I have an above ground 1000 gallon polyurethane stock tank, 9'x2'4", (two kids and a 100lb dog) and installed an Intex 2000 gph SWG pump. Filled the pool about 2weeks ago and added the initial salt let it run for 24 hrs and used the provided test strips. FC and pH readings were good, the TA was a little low. Today i got my Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006, awsome kit. Here are my results.

FC 0.4
CC 0.2
pH 7.3
TA 25ml test 230
10ml test 250
CH 75
CA sample did not change

the water is also cloudy

I have a large bag of baking soda, pH minus, small bag of HTH shock'n'swim, HTH natural clarifier and HTH Salt water restore and balance. Im ready to head to walmart to pick up some muriatic acid and probably stare at all the chem options wondering what to to try next. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

oh and what do i do about the copper ion test results...

premature on my first post ... my apologies
pool school...check
read this before posting...check
SWG water balance...check

1lb of HTH shock'n'swim ...
FC: 30+ppm ... that was alot of drops, should have did the 10ml test
pH: 8+
TA: blue to yellow 250ppm
and i stopped there

24hrs later with heavy rain plus 1 hour SWG cycle...

FC: 0.4
CC: 0.4
pH: 7.4
TA: 225
CH: 200 strip test
CYA: 0 strip test
NaCl: 2600ppm

still cloudy... I bought some stabilizer today, ready to do this

oh and I am buying a car from Carmax. Just started the transfer today. My family dream car is in Illinois. $399 to get it to Colorado....random sorry

Alright after adding bleach and CYA... didnt read about the sock method till last night... ended up turning off the pump and using a stiff bristle brush to "dissolve" the CYA... i was out there a while... so after i was comfortable with the water consistency, some CYA still visible, i turned on the SWG and continued to brush the CYA at the bottom.

I learned my lesson! I knew i didn't want to add it directly to the skimmer per directions and after the first 20 minutes of brushing I knew there had to be a better way.

Another heavy rain, more bleach and a 4hr boost cycle: (first thing in the morning)
FC: 6.6
CC: 0
pH: 7.6

CH: 150 strip
TA: 240+ strip
CYA: 30-50 strip (trying to save on reagent till i get it right)

so my question today ... Is 6.6 FC to high to swim? should i wait till later in the day after sunlight exposure to test again... my 9 year old is a fish out of water!

Hey,

I was wondering how your stock tank pool/ SWG combo is working out?
I was really attached to the idea of a metal stock tank, but I like the sound of the
ease of a SWG, which would corrode a metal stock tank.

How much time are you spending maintaining that set up?

Thanks!

Erin

Hey Erin, stock tank has been great! This is the 3rd season to use it and the kids and dog love it.

The tank is actually made of thick blue polyethylene, so I have no staining, scaling or corrosion.

As far as maintenance goes once the CYA and salt are added, the pump does most of the work. I'll have to add bleach to balance the chlorine and maybe some muriatic acid for the pH after heavy swims... (with the dog)

I'll try and get some pics up.

Hey Josh,
Thanks for the update. I'm thinking more and more that the poly tank is the right choice for me. Plus I love the idea that the dog can go in. Not a possibility with the intex I currently have. If you have time, pics would be great!
What kind of schedule do you run the pump/ swg on?
Thanks again!
Erin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.