Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hayward sp 1085 skimmer question

1. Back To Top    #1

hayward sp 1085 skimmer question

the weir gets stuck and i want to remove it to see if it needs to be sanded. how is SP 1085 OEM skimmer weir hinged? the area it not easily accessible and i don't want to apply to much pressure to get it out and end up breaking it.

does it snap in place, any springs that hold it in place, any screws?

looking on internet, it seems like there are two protruding plastic pieces on the ends of the weir that might just go into a openings in the skimmer body and stay there, but i can't really tell.

i'm trying to find some schematics for entire skimmer installation, but can't find any...

any help is really appreciated!

p.s. sp-1085 is hayward wide mouth skimmer for IGP:
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: hayward sp 1085 skimmer question

Weir attaches at the bottom with two nipples. From the inside of the skimmer, lift the weir straight up and their should be a plastic lip at the base near the swing point. Lift up on that lip.

Very common occurrence. A wood rasp works wonders.
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

3. Back To Top    #3

i actually found it out yesterday myself. the hard way while trying to figure out how to squeeze the "nipples" out of the groves, i broke one of them. fortunately it seems that it's holding in place with only one nipples.

the weir sticks in upright position along the entire perimeter, so i decide instead of shaping it to fit better i would restrict the range of motion. i drilled a small hole on top of the weir and screw a thin but long bolt into it. the bolt doesn't allow the weir to go vertical. i'm going to replace the styrofoam and probably will go for a slightly bigger one to compensate for the additional weight.

thank you for your answer!
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Cost Of new weir is like $15. If you alter the ability of the weir to close you're defeating the purpose of having it installed. The weir is dual purpose. 1) creates a waving motion to help draw debris into the skimmer and 2) keeps ALL the debris in the skimmer basket when the pump is off.
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

5. Back To Top    #5

AquaDoctorLLC, it still does all these functions, the only alteration in its function that i introduced is ability no to stick

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with AquaDoctor. 100%!

Doing it right means do it once.

Having only one pivot point and relying on friction to hold the other side is begging for another problem to occur.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

ok, guys! i will try to get a new one my pool is covered 5 days out of 7, so skimmer is not extremely crucial for me.