First time using new Test kit

Jul 2, 2011
Got my TF100 test kit today, ...not sure I know what all this means,,,but here are my numbers

FC = 8.5
CC = 0
TA = 320
PH----Using the ph tester, it looks to be between 7.8-8.2

I tried using the calculater, but not sure what my goal numbers should be.

We have had our solar cover on,,,,I am guessing we need to take it off and burn off some of the chlorine.

Any help as to what to do next is appreciated...thanks

You need to lower your pH a bit and post your CYA results.

The calculator needs to know how many gallons your pool holds to determine how to get from where you are to where you need to be. Have you entered that info into the calculator before using it?

Yes, I have our gallons of 15,000 listed in the calculater. We just filled our pool last Saturday, July 2nd. That evening we added 1/2 gallon liquid bleach (12%) and 21 oz muratic acid after having our PH tested at a local pool store (PH tested at 7.8).............we have added 1/2 gallon of the liquid bleach each night thereafter, while waiting on our kit. We have left our solar cover on as much as possible in order to warm up the water after filling.

The chemicals I have on hand is the remainder of the gallon of muratic acid, and I also have some dry acid.

It'd be a good idea to take the cover off for a little while.

On your TA, run it again and wipe the tip of the R-0009 reagent on a damp tissue or cloth. Static has been reported to cause a problem with the test and make the reading falsely high.

I'd lower the pH to about 7.4 also.

I do not know my chemicals,,,we have always relied on our local pool store for instructions. I have a couple things on hand.....you say we need to add a stabilizer/conditioner,,,would this be the same as Leslie's Ultra Bright enhancer? If not, could you please tell me what I need, I will see if I have something on hand that would work. I have always gotten pool chemicals from Leslies.
I live in the country, so might have to make a run into the city. We will be leaving tomorrow morning and not coming home until Monday,,,,,anything I need to do will have to be done tonight.
Thanks for your help

Bama Rambler said:
It'd be a good idea to take the cover off for a little while.

On your TA, run it again and wipe the tip of the R-0009 reagent on a damp tissue or cloth. Static has been reported to cause a problem with the test and make the reading falsely high.

I'd lower the pH to about 7.4 also.

Bama,,,,,we did use a damp tissue when we tested.

If you look at the bottom (last box it's yellow) there are some boxes to list what you are using to add chlorine, what your pool surface is, and set goals. You can preset them to trouble free pools pre loaded numbers. Also it will list in a box towards the bottom (2nd to last box, it's blue) your shock level (and Mustard Algae shock level) based off your current CYA numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA is cyuranic acid, also referred to as conditioner, or stabilizer. At the proper levels it protects your chlorine from burning off too quickly in the sun. Too little and your chlorine won't last the day, too much and your chlorine will be ineffective at lower levels. You can get it from the pool store, or some hardware stores and Walmart will carry it as well.

As for the pool calculator, use the numbers from the recommended levels chart as your target numbers. At the bottom of the calculator set up what type of pool and method of chlorination.

Thanks zea3,,,,this last week we had to empty and refill our pool because of high CYA,,,we could not get it lowered. So, we have had the new water for one week now. We just got our test kit today and are trying to test our water and maintain our pool with the help of this forum. It seems so overwhelming. What steps should we do first,,,lower the ph or add the stabilizer,,,I am so afraid of adding stabilizer after our last fight with it. If I use Dry Acid to lower the ph, will that give me enough stabilizer? I have both dry acid and muratic acid on hand.

I received your PM. Since you are leaving town tomorrow AM, it is unrealistic to think you can correct the issues in your pool in that time.

I suggest you lower the pH of that pool this evening and retest and fix the rest of it when you return. While you are away, read and reread the articles in ool School so you will have a grasp of the basics and understand more about what the different parameters mean.

Lower the pH with muriatic acid. How did you get 8.5 when the test only goes to 8.2?

You can either use pucks in a floater and run the pump either 24/7 or use a time to turn it on and off. You could also just cover the pool and let it sit until you get back if it is only a couple of days.

Thanks zea3,,,I truly appreciate your help. We always run the pump 24/7 from the time we open in spring until we close up the pool in fall..I have heard that some people never run their pumps continously,,,.what are your thoughts on that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.