Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Residential AG Pool Heater -- ASME or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Residential AG Pool Heater -- ASME or not?

About to finally pull the trigger an order a heater. I will be buying a 400,000 btu RayPak, electronic ignition, natural gas, cupro-nickel heat exchanger. For a few hundred dollars more, I can get those specs and have it be ASME. Not even sure what that is. What are pros and cons of getting that, and if the money is there, should I get it?

Pool this year and likely next is Intex. After that, probably a "permanent" AG oval if any of that matters.

Thanks!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Residential AG Pool Heater -- ASME or not?

I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing you're getting is the paperwork and a "U" number. They're made exactly the same they just don't have to register the ones that aren't certified, so they don't have to pay the fee and generate the paperwork.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Residential AG Pool Heater -- ASME or not?

Thanks!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska