Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Jul 7, 2011
Greetings all!

Can someone here please unconfuse me?

Which direction should all these valves be pointed in order for me to get the maximum amount of water through the filter?

I know that A sends water out to the Polaris sweeper, and in the picture it is off. I also know that switching the flow from outlet 4to outlet 1makes two fans of water start spraying from one side of the pool. I have no clue what valve C does nor why I should switch it. Inlet's 2 and 3 are a mystery to me. I have no idea what changing the flow using valve B does. I have 2 drains, and one skimmer, so as far as I know, those are the only ways of water getting back to the pump from the pool, but I have no idea how to configure any of that. I once put a big hose inside the skimmer and was able to use it on a vacuum after having finagled the valves in a way that seemed to create a lot of suction from one of the two holes in the bottom of the skimmer, but I can't remember what combination of valve settings effected this.

Currently the pool has a lot of sediment suspended in it from heavy rains making the water hazy. If I leave the sweeper off, the sediment will sink and the water becomes crystal clear. I want to filter all that sediment out! I replaced the cartridge yesterday and was disappointed to find the water still mirky this morning.

I'm not sure if I'm circulating the water through the pump as well as can be, so that's why I ask.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Chris
pump.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Pools vary, so to figure out what is what you will need to do a little experimenting.

Valve B allows you to select where water coming into the pump comes from, either 2 or 3 or both. The way you have it setup right now, all of the water is coming from 3. If you turn the valve 180 degrees all of the water will come from 2, and if you aim the handle towards the pump water will come from both places. By experimenting with that valve, you should be able to tell if it selects between your two skimmers, or between the main drain and the skimmers. If everything is working, having it set to draw water from both places is the best setting.

Valve D selects where the water goes after the filter, 1, or 4, or both. You currently have it set to send all of the water to 4. From your description 1 is a pair of fountains.

Valve A selects between the pool cleaner and the filter, as you already know.

The big mystery is what valve C is, and what the person who put it in was thinking. Basically, your plumbing is setup so that 3 can be either a suction line or a return. That makes a little sense of 3 is the main drain, and no sense at all if 3 is one or both of the skimmers. Regardless, valve C should probably be left in it's current position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.