GREEN POOL FOR THREE WEEKS!!!

TulsaMary said:
Alright so, my pool is still green, I drained 50%, I refilled, I have been keeping it at high shock level... I checked the filter sand and it is all good.... When should I see a change?
You should see some change daily.

What is your fill water, well or municipal?

tulsamary,

I am going to speculate here just a little and say you are not shocking the pool. Have you read the article in Pool School on how to shock and are you following that article carefully? What are you using to add chlorine? It shouldn't be anything but Clorox.

For your pool not to have cleared completely by now almost ALWAYS means inadequate chlorine.

What is your current FC? (don't add some more if you know it's low....just report what it is this AM prior to any additions) How often have you been adding chlorine? Is your pump running 24/7? Have you backwashed/cleaned your filter?

Post up those answers and test results and we'll help you get your pool clear and it won't take another 4 weeks. :lol:

As mentioned before I am using a test kit from the local pool store, the highest reading I can get is 5, however I am using three parts distilled and one part pool water. But my highest reading I can obtain from that is 15. What I have been doing on an hourly basis is checking the FC. It has been remaining at least a 20. Anytime it drops I add Clorax bleach... I went to SAMS yesterday, I have gone through 3 gallon and a half jugs since then.... Prior to that I have used Leslies pool shock... I have backwashed....

SO I stuck my vacuum head with two bottles rubber-banded on it so it wont suck to the bottom in the center of my pool... So I can filter from the bottom rather than from the top... I think I can see a tiny bit more of my ladder then earlier but then again the sun is brighter...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I am at a loss. It is virtually impossible for any algae to be left alive if your FC has been held at 20ppm like you say.

Since you have been backwashing and running the pump 24/7 for 4 weeks and held FC at 20ppm, I can think of nothing else to suggest. Perhaps others can figure out how this situation can occur. It's beyond my pay grade.

Hang in there TulsaMary... I know you are frustrated, but the BBB method will get your pool clear. You've only been doing BBB for a few days now and if you maintain your shock levels, your pool will respond. You can go through a ridiculous amount of bleach when trying to clean a green pool, but once you have, maintenance will be easy if you follow the instructions on this site. It took me over a month because I slacked off occasionally, but when I became diligent, my pool cleared. It has been crystal clear for a few weeks and enjoyed daily by my family and dog. It will happen for you as well. Have you ordered a good test kit yet?

Well, at least that is one thing that will make your life a bit easier and the only thing that will give you control over your own pool. Surely, you will have more questions when you get it, just ask away. I am waiting to see what your CYA level is since your partial drain/fill. I suspect it may be higher than you think, I hope that is not the case.

50 is workable, but will require a higher level of chlorine to shock. The CYA is the most difficult test to read, so when you perform that test for the first time, remember, if you are not sure of your reading... you can just return the sample to the mixing bottle and try it several times until you are comfortable with how the test works. I did not realize that at first and wasted a lot of CYA reagent doing many retests. Also, there is a link here somewhere with a visual guide on how to perform the test... perhaps someone can post that... I can't seem to find it.

Wow, everyone on here is so awesome... I keep hoping the fedex guy pulls up so I can begin doing the proper testing.... We did go ahead and have the birthday party, the kids are having a blast....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.