Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Titanium Dioxide & Zinc Oxide making pool cloudy :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Titanium Dioxide & Zinc Oxide making pool cloudy :(

My kids have very sensitive skin so we can only use sunscreen with physical blockers, such as Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. The problem is that I think the sunscreen is making the pool a little cloudy. Is there anything I can do about this? We have a Intex sand filter 2100 gal per hour and a SWG. Also, we typically have 4 to 5 people in the pool wearing sunscreen with physical blockers. Thanks!!
    Intex 15X48 metal frame pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Titanium Dioxide & Zinc Oxide making pool cloudy :(

I doubt that it has much to do with the sunscreen. Cloudy water is not a symptom of too much sunscreen. The normal symptom of too much sunscreen is an oily slick on the surface of the water or an oily black residue collecting in the skimmer.

More likely it is simply from too many people swimming for your current FC level and pump/filter run time. Raise the FC level up to the high end of the normal range and increase the pump run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School