1st time pool owner. Need heat pump advice.

mtber

Jun 9, 2011
I am having a local company install my first pool, they use hayward products just like every other contractor in this area.
I am interested in a pool heater, however I am not sure which to go with & why. They usually install hayward by default but I have a feeling the rheem products are better.

Can anyone provide me with their "professional" opinion on what electric pool heater is the best bang for the buck for a 14x28 pool that is 4-5 (shallow to deep) feet deep?

Any input would be appreciated.

I usually go the Jandy route. Accessibility of parts, easy to work on, etc.

Ask yourself 1) how often are you going to heat the pool? 2) How long will you maintain the heated temp? and 3) How fast do you want to heat the water?

Are you heating a spa or just the pool? If just a pool, and you're in no hurry to heat the water, Hayward Heat Pros are great if you can afford a Heat Pump. In the long run you'll save money. Having to pay that NG/Propane bill every month will get old, quick. Heat pumps work off ambient air temp. They heat the water to 30 degrees above. So if it's 50 at night, the highest the water will heat is to 80 degrees.

I am in florida, so honestly water temp won't be an issue.
I simply need a heat pump to get the water to 80 degrees range when it hasn't been hot here on a consistent bases.
I think I may go with the Rheem unit because their warranty doesn't exclude chemical damage.
I want something that is maintenance free if possible.

You should give the guys at Poolheatpumps.com a call. They seem to have great prices and lots of no pressure advice. I am also looking for a heat pump and will probably go with their Solarium 105ti.

I looked at Jandy but the warranty for the solarium seems much better than most. Even better for you Floridians.

Keep in mind that even in Florida, up towards J'ville, you're going to have LOW temps. Even through the rest of the state, your heat pump usage will include the need to heat when air temps fall below 50 degrees, which some heat pumps will shut down at. If it's important to have the heated pool when its that cold, you should consider heat and cool models for cold air temperature operation.
Also, it is VERY important to consider the use of a solar blanket, to help retain the heat you're paying for.

Sorry to jump on this thread and ask my questions, but probably not good form to start up a whole new thread with exactly the same subject line:

I have a pool in South West France where the temp gets into the mid 30C (err....Mid 80s - Mid 90s) during the summer months - June, July, August and have relied on the sun to warm up the pool. Sadly this year the weather has been awful with little sun, lots of rain and temperatures around 68-70F, so the pool is currently on the chilly side.

We are planning on renting the house during the months of May and October so I was thinking of installing a heat pump.

1) I need something very quiet as that is very much the charm of the house (in the middle of nowhere) - someone suggest a Hayward Summit (which I can get in France)
2) as it's a salt water pool is there anything I should look out for?
3) What sort of power consumption does a heat pump use relative to any other household appliance - is this like having a big fridge on?

Finally, as the prices in France are at least double those in the US, is there anyone reading this who can export to me - and is the installation something that can be done by an accomplished DIY expert...erhem.... :)

Richard,
Abatik Piscine is an AquaCal heat pump dealer in France. http://www.piscines-online.com/recherche/aquacal.html
The Superquite models are the quiestest heat pumps in the market, perfect for what you're looking for. It is 55 db rated, if you're interested (quiter than your circulation pump).
For a salt water pool, there really isn't anything special you should look for, but a Titanium heat exchanger is most common these days. It is impervious to chemical attack.
A heat pump will need 220 volts @ 50 amps breaker, more than a refrigerator. It may be less if your pool is indoor, or outdoor and covered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.