Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid and base demand test

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid and base demand test

Could someone explain the uses for the Taylor acid and base demand test .
    Such as what it can do for me? Or why i should or should not use it? Just wondering since i have it with my K-2006 am i missing out on something.
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid and base demand test

Along with the acid/base demand charts in the back of the booklet that came with your kit, you can use the acid/base demand tests to figure out how much acid or base you need to add to get to a certain pH. If your pH is high, then you add the acid demand reagent dropwise to your pH test (after you've read the pH with the indicator dye already added) where you will see that each drop makes the pH test color move lower in pH. When you get to the pH you want, you look in the booklet and look in the table using the number of drops you added and your pool size and you'll see how much acid to add.

The same principle applies to the base demand test, but in the opposite direction when your pH is too low and you want to raise it.

Another use for these acid/base reagents is to move the pH up or down in the pH test to more clearly see what the pH level is. Sometimes it's hard to read the colors until one gets used to it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Chem geek , So other than moving it up or down to compare the color it does the same thing as i use the pool calculator for.
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

So other than moving it up or down to compare the color it does the same thing as i use the pool calculator for.
    Precisely. Because BBB teaches the use of the pool calculator for so many other things, I use it (as do most others) in lieu of the acid/base demand tests.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School