Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have underground leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Have underground leak?

How do I know if I have an underground leak? My pool does not seem to be losing any water, yet I have an area near the edge of the decking that is always wet. (There is no chance that it is from splashing) I also removed about 1 1/2 cups of sand from my cartridge filter cannister today.

I simply can't reconcile why the ground is wet all the time.... It has been 100 degrees for several days, yet the ground is still wet. As I said though, the pool does not seem to be losing water beyond normal evaporation.

I do not have any other water sources near the wet area. The closest is probably 25 feet away and the ground between the pipe and the wet area seems to be dry.

Any testing ideas?
    18 x 38 IG vinyl modified roman, sand filter, swg, 1hp pump, minimax-nt ng heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have underground leak?

You might dig a hole in the wet area, and if it fills with water test it for CYA to see if it is pool water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

JT has a good idea, and you might also do a bucket test to see if you're losing more than evaporation.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Where does your rain water drain too? Do you have weeping tile around your house? Is the wet area a low area? Do you have underwater springs in your area? Do you have alot of clay in the soil?

5. Back To Top    #5

Brilliant idea about digging a hole and testing for CYA..... willl try that this weekend!

Thanks to all......
    18 x 38 IG vinyl modified roman, sand filter, swg, 1hp pump, minimax-nt ng heater