Pump Losing Pressure

Oct 19, 2010
Well recently my pool pump started losing pressure, I just did a lil backwash today as we had that HUGE 'haboob' here in phoenix, plus my pressure was high @20. Anyways, The pressure seems to be fine when I just run the skimmer, but when I switch it over to the vac it slowly moves down to zero. Ive noticed it over the past few days but have not put two and two together. The jets hardly push out water the aerator is almost trickling. I can fiddle with the pump building pressure back up with the skimmer then switch it over to the hose, but eventually it just repeats this process over and over again.

I have a Sand Filter, and a Barracuda Q7.

Thanks much!

Is the pump strainer basket staying full when the pressure drops? Could be a leak or clog in the vacuum line. Might check the cleaner for a rock or something else stuck in the inlet to the hose.

One of the guys here suggested for me to check my pump impellers for dog hair/leaves/Crud he was 100% right check it first. TURN OFF POWER TO PUMP then remove strainer basket see hole going into pump stick your finger in and feel for gunk. I have had to clean mine twice now in one month due to gunk. I suggest removing the bolts and cleaning the pump impeller off the basket housing but you can do an 80% job by just sticking a clothes hanger in the hole and bringing out the stuff.

The basket should be absolutely full of water with no bubbles.

IDoes your vacuum hose connect below or above the water level? Of above, inspect it carefully for leaks above the water.

Also closely check that the strainer basket lid is tight and that the O-ring is lubricated with pool lube.

Well baring a fault pump low water pressure has always been for me gunk in the system. Either at the pool strainer return or the pump strainer basket or the pump impellers. Did you bleed the air out of your filter? Do you have leak(s) in your plumbing excessive dripping? I replaced my plumbing trying to find an air problem myself.

You have a suction side leak somewhere. Adding the vacuum, increases the suction head and causes it to leak air worse. If you've checked, cleaned & lubed the pump strainer basket lid o-ring and resealed the drain plug(s), then it's time to start running water over the suction piping and fittings looking to see when the air stops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.