Katy Texas Pool Build 12/2007

Nov 12, 2007
Katy, Texas
Hey everybody.

Well the pool build begins.

My PB called last night (Tuesday) and informed me that he would show up the next afternoon to stake out the pool and make sure I like it's location. He told me that the Digging would begin the following morning after that. (Thursday).

This morning (Wednesday) I received a call at work from my wife at 8:00AM who told me to get home ASAP because the PB wants to stake the pool out now and that the diggers were also waiting. Crud! I rush home and get with the PB who begins to stake out the pool. Within 45 minutes the bobcat was removing the dirt and the build was underway! Man those guys work fast.

I have posted pictures of the pre-dig "tree removal" and the actual dig (day 1).

PRE DIG: Tree removal November 2007

http://picasaweb.google.com/BGraeter/PrePoolBuild

DAY ONE: The Dig December 5th, 2007

http://picasaweb.google.com/BGraeter/Day1TheDig

Looks great. Keep them pics coming. Bees yikes. Living in the tree branch eh? Is this common in Texas? How do they get rid of them?

Max might be confused but he will be a very happy pup come spring.

DLSDO said:
Looks great. Keep them pics coming. Bees yikes. Living in the tree branch eh? Is this common in Texas? How do they get rid of them?

Max might be confused but he will be a very happy pup come spring.

Hi Dave,

I contacted a bee keeper who came out and removed the bees. He told me that there were an estimated 2000 bees in the tree and that they were Africanized. He claims that European honey bees would swarm and move out looking for a new home. The queen would stop somewhere, (in this case, my tree) and wait while the workers would go find suitable shelter inside somewhere. Killer bees don't necessarily have to shelter inside. They can build their hive anywhere indoors or out, It's up to the queen. If the bees don't move on within 2 - 3 days, then more than likely they have established a hive.

The removal process was pretty interesting. The bee keeper suited up and climbed a ladder approximately 20 foot up into the tree. He then used a shop vac to suck the bees into a homemade bee box. When he sucks the queen up, the rest will follow. It was interesting to see the bees that didn't get sucked up following the box containing the queen. The bee keeper stated that those bees would follow his truck all the way home.

The bee keeper charged me $80.00 to take the bees away. He will then quarantine the small hive for two weeks to make sure the bees are disease free. After that period the bee keeper would remove the African queen and replace her with a European queen.

Presently the workers are shooting gunite and installing the pool equipment. See updated pictures

Day 2: Plumbing December 6, 2007
I was at work all day and unable to take pictures of this stage. Basically the workers spent the day plumbing the in-ground cleaning system. The workers finished up the plumbing on day three. See below.

Day 3: Steel and Plumbing December 7, 2007
http://picasaweb.google.com/BGraeter/Da ... ndPlumbing

Currently it is mostly cloudy with temps in the mid to high 70's. Rain is expected Sunday - Wednesday with temps falling into the 40's.

Bgraeter,

Wow, what an outstanding set of pool buld photographs. This has to be one of the best sets of photos I have seen documenting a pool build. I can hardly wait to see your photos when they do the equipment pad, tile, decking, and pool interior.

Did they use flexible PVC pipe in the spa dam wall?

It looks like you have two pool lights and an in-ground cleaning system? Maybe you could update your "signature" and show the details of your pool.

When is your pool due to be finished?

Titanium

Titanium said:
Bgraeter,

Wow, what an outstanding set of pool buld photographs. This has to be one of the best sets of photos I have seen documenting a pool build. I can hardly wait to see your photos when they do the equipment pad, tile, decking, and pool interior.

Did they use flexible PVC pipe in the spa dam wall?

It looks like you have two pool lights and an in-ground cleaning system? Maybe you could update your "signature" and show the details of your pool.

When is your pool due to be finished?

Titanium

Hey Titanium,

Yes, they use the flex pipe in the spa area. It is unbelievable how much piping goes into a pool!

My PB said the pool should be completed by mid Jan. 2008. If it wasn't for the holidays, it would be completed in December. Something about the subs going home for the holidays. :roll:

See updated pictures below for equipment.

If anyone reading this can comment on my equipment choices I would appreciate it. I'd like to know what experiences others have had with like kind choices.

Day 4: Gunite December 8,2007
http://picasaweb.google.com/BGraeter/Day4Gunite

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bgraeter,

I have to comment again on just how great your pictures are documenting your pool build.

One thing I didn't catch the other day - did the pool builder's plumber really use SEVEN 90 degree elbows within the first 3 or 4 feet of plumbing? :shock: That seems like a LOT of fittings.

Titanium

Hey Everybody,

It's been a week since I posted and thats because all I've been doing is watering the gunite.
The PB was going to come out yesterday (Saturday) but we had rain. It was cold and nasty. (45 deg.) Okay, I here you guys from up north. "45 degrees, this guy from Texas doesn't know what cold is!" Your right, but when the temps drop into the 40's it's time for us deep southerners to crank up the fireplace.

Today, (Sunday) the PB and his crew arrived at 7:15 AM and started to work on the waterfall. They got it pretty much completed by 5:00PM. (See pictures below). They also laid out some of the flagstone that will be used for the coping.
http://picasaweb.google.com/BGraeter/Day5Waterfall

Over all, I think these guys did a great job with th waterfall. They built in 6 ledges for the boys to use as a jumping rock.
Also the area to the right of the waterfall has water pipes run though out to make the rocks weep. It should look pretty good.

Tomorrow the crew will complete the waterfall and start the coping and water line tile.

Just passing through and I just gotta say your pics and build are OUTSTANDING! 8)

Are ya almost done yet?

Sorry for the delay in posting. A lot has happened since my last post. The coping, tile and deck work have all been completed as well as the top portion of the waterfall. The only thing left to complete is the sealing of the coping which will give the stone a wet look even when dry. The Coping will show a lot darker than the pictures below.

The Primera Stone will be shot inside the pool on Monday January 14th and then on Tuesday we can begin to fill the pool.

The fence will be replaced and landscaping will be added in February 08.

Our PB has done a fantastic job to this point. We are blessed to have had no major problem with the build thus far.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BGraeter/St ... CopingDeck

Hey everybody,

Sorry I has taken so long to post but it's been a busy month.

The pool was filled on the 14th of January and we have been working to balance out the water. The kids were dying to swim this weekend so we broke down and heated the pool over Super Bowl weekend. The temps here in Katy Texas are in the mid 60's to the mid 70's. We heated the pool to 90 degrees and let the kids have at it. Within 30 minutes what seemed like the entire neighborhood was in my back yard. We had eleven kids and seven adults here so we made it a party.

On Super Bowl Sunday I smoked a brisket, baby back ribs and sausage! wheeeooo, some adult beverages, friends, and BBQ, what a combo! You guys jealous yet??? sorry :lol:

There are still a few minor issues to fix and so far my PB has been very attentive. We are currently using chlorine tabs to sanitize the pool but should be adding salt in a week or so. Mid February is when the landscaping should be completed, then it's officially finished. I will post more picture when we finally complete the landscaping.

Here are my numbers so far....

FC 1.
TC 1.5
PH 7.4
Alk 150
Cal 150
CYA 30+

Here are the latest photos...
http://picasaweb.google.com/BGraeter/Step7Fill

Nice pool Brent,
And to tell everyone that you had your first pool party in February sure kills a few folks in the cold country.
I had my pool filled about 3 weeks now and have not added the salt yet as I 'm trying to balance the water a little.
Your FC and TC look good as well as your CYA.
I just recently lowered my Alkalinity down from 140 to 80 with 1 gal of muriatic acid over a 5 day period of time.
This also lowered my ph and now I'm aerating daily to raise that up. In a week it should be ready for salt.

Good luck on your great new pool. :lol:

Iggy in Arizona 8) :lol:

Brent, your pool looks really nice. Great pictures of the build process. It sounds like you were very pleased with Castle Rock. Did they design the landscaping along with the pool? I would love to see some pictures of the completed project. We are still at the design stage and have not selected a builder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.